Camry Question

I mentioned in a previous post that I just bought a used 07 Camry (LE,

4cyl, auto). I said it had plenty of power, however, after having driven it for awhile now I wouldn't describe it a "plenty" - maybe just adequate. I've had three other Camrys but all had standard transmissions and seemed more powerful. But I digress.

My question is about the four speed transmission. It shifts fine but has an annoying feature when coasting. Let me see if I can describe this. It's not exactly coasting. Let's say I am traveling on a flat surface at 40 mph. Then the surface becomes a slight downward incline and the traffic in front of me slows. I take my foot almost off the gas so the car is almost coasting. At that time the tranny seems to shift or lock/unlock as if it's searching for a gear or trying to up or down shift. I've looked at the tachometer and I don't see any big change in engine RPM. Is this transmission behavior normal? It's really not that big of a deal, just an annoyance. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

I've noticed the same in our Avalon and Corolla. It feels like it shifts into neutral for a moment until either an incline or decline applies a load on the transmission. I don't think that it's anything to be concerned about. My @#$%#! F*&@ 250 SD does it as well.

Reply to
user

I have one too, btw we have 5 spd a/t and not 4 spd. I have the same experience and can relate to your disapointment. I hvae bought it new May 06 and have rented other cars as well e.g. kia sedona, stratus,

300, freestyle surprisingly none of these cars have the same behavior. brought it too the dealer for a TSB (ECU reflash), contacted toyota hotline and tried using premium fuel but nothing changed, well maybe a little but not totally. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and its features and when i rated the car in yahoo autos or edmunds I gave it 7.5 out of 10
Reply to
EdV

I think what you're experiencing is the torque converter locking and unlocking.

Now, it used to be almost transparent. But, when I rented a '90 Town Car for a trip to Canada, it was HORRIBLE! I thought the tranny was cr@p!

Turns out they ALL did this. You can get something from Ford or from parts stores to make this easier, but I would think before putting it into a Toyota...

Reply to
hachiroku

Thanks to everyone. I thought it might be normal behavior but is sure is annoying. Guess I'll get used to it. I had an Avalon before this but it did not do this. jor

Reply to
jor

Reply to
Steve Larson