Camry spark plug wire keeps popping off

Every half hour or so (20 - 50 miles of driving), the engine starts misfiring. Under the hood, I can see that the plug wire assembly (wire, boot, the connecting stick, and the puck at the end) has popped up 3 - 4 inches. I push it down again; it seems like the wire snaps into place on the plug, and it runs fine for a while before it pops off again.

Any idea as to why this keeps happening?

Reply to
steve

Leaking plug. Either the plug seal itself is bad, or it is leaking around the threads.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Definitely a dodgy plug. The centre wire is tamped into place using a fine powder (can't remember the exact name) and the top post is screwed into the centre wire. In extreme cases, the powder can be omitted during manfacturing and the centre wire can shoot out of the plug and out of the engine compartment. Doesn't happen very often and I'm sure the the big names will deny all knowledge. R

Reply to
Radical Mushroom

That could ruin your day if you were sitting on the hood at the time.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Reply to
wet_lips

Reply to
wet_lips

Well, condoms keep popping off my dick because it is so thick.

Reply to
Sharx35

On the OTHER hand, if he lived in the Bay Area, it just might MAKE his day.

Reply to
Sharx35

What year camry and mileage? Any repairs done recently prior to the problem? Any oil on the boot that pops off?

Reply to
jjjsan