Transmission fluid

Can anyone tell me the recommended fluid for the A245E transmission in my

1996 Toyota Corona Premio (Japanese assembled if it makes any difference)

Am thinking of changing fluid at the same time I do the cambelt.

Reply to
FantomFan

The correct automatic transmission fluid should be noted in your owner's manual and on the transmission dip stick, most likely Dexron III.

Reply to
Ray O

Just checked the dip stick and it says to use Toyota T-III or equivalent

Where can I find a list showing the equivalent type or am I best to stick with genuine?

Reply to
FantomFan

You can Google it! Here's what I got:

toyota t-iii:

Mobil ATF 3309 (as a replacement for T-IV. Usually, you can go UP a version, but not down)

Toyota Type T, T-III & T-IV -- Special formula ATFs for Toyota and Lexus transmissions.

Castrol Multivehicle ATF

Mobil ATF 3309 is recommended for use in transmissions made by Aisin AW requiring a fluid approved against Type T-IV

Further reading disclosed that Mobil M1 is NOT recommanded by Mobil as a replacement. The Toyota T-III is either Synthetic or semi-synthetic. Same for Type IV. The Esso/Mobil 3309 is compatible, but is not synthetic. Castrol is a mutli-vehicle; I like Castrol but duslike the 'multi' part.

I'd say the best thing it use the Toyota fluid. Then you KNOW it's right!

Oh, also a not about the Esso/Mobil 3309: you can't mix it! So, you can't do a drain/fill, you have to replace the Toyota fluid completely. What a mess!

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

What hachiroku says!

Reply to
Ray O

Does that mean a flush? which almost everybody here seems to dislike.

Reply to
EdV

No, a flush cannot get out enough without wasting and contaminating huge amounts of ATF. Just use the correct fluid.

Reply to
Ray O

Probably.

Don't get me wrong: a flush is not a bad thing, 20-30,000 miles with the ATF still looking good. A flush isn't really a bad thing at 60-70,000 miles when the fluid is starting to turn a *little* brownish.

A flush is *NOT* a good thing when the fluid is black and has been since Methusela was a little boy!

If I were the OP, I'd go to the Toy store and buy the real deal. When in doubt...

Reply to
Hachiroku

A flush per se is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that a lot of places that do them employ idiots with no training who do it wrong or put in the wrong fluid. That includes some dealerships. Accordingly, a lot of people just drain and refill themselves so they know it was done right. YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Talked to the local Toyota agent and they say to use Dexron III (as that's what they would use) and that there shouldn't be any problem mixing them.

Reply to
FantomFan

Tried that as well but couldn't find your note ref the Esso/Mobiul 3309

Also have seen Valvoline Dexron III or Valvoline Maxlife Dexron III listed as alternatives.

Reply to
FantomFan

Wow. I don't know what to tell you. Except this: I had three Chrysler products. I always heard people crying about their transmissions and what pieces of garbage they were.

Then I'd get in mine, put it in Drive and drive happily away.

I was lucky in that all the Chryslers I had were serviced with nothing but ATF+3 for Chrysler trannies. The problem with Chryslers is that they WANT ATF+3 or +4 and NOTHING else. 90% of the time someone says their Chrysler tranny failed, chances are they were 'topping up' with Dexron/Mercon II or III. Esp with the vans, the cover develops a leak, and drains the reservoir over a period of weeks enough to make the tranny slip. So, you go to K-Mart or Wal-Mart, buy the tranny sauce that says "Good for all Automatics" and drive well for a few more weeks...After 40-50,000 miles of this, Bye Bye tranny!

Since I am having trouble finding any tranny fluid for you other than the Esso 3309, which also requires removing all of the Toyota stuff, I would just Bite The Big One and shell out for the Toyota juice.

You have one of the most reliable vehicles on the road today. Why compromise that to save a couple bucks on Trans fluid?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the help.

My local Toyota agent says they would just use Dexron III and there shouldn't be any problem.

BTW a neighbour of mine had a chrysler and was told the trans was shot so parked it up for a while. A couple of years later decided to sell it and when the prospective buyer tried taking it for a test drive the driveshaft fell out.

Reply to
FantomFan