Corolla 03 radiator's capacity

Hi, I'm trying to change my coolant for my toyota 03 CE. What I found out from toyota dealer's part department, coolant capacity is 6.9 qz. They don't specify whether this capacity number includes radiator and reservior or just radiator. I drained all coolant from radiator and fill about 3 qz of red antifreeze bought from the dealer. I was planning to add 3 qz of antifreeze and 3 qz of distill water. When I try to add the distill water, radiator is full after I put in about 1 qz of distill water. So it seems 03 corolla radiator capacity is only about 1 gallon or 4 qz. I am afraid my coolant is too thick in the system. I wonder if anyone knows the capacity of the radiator for corolla 03? I may need to bleed out 1 qz of coolant from my radiator and fill in another qz of distill water. Does this sound right?

Thank you for opinion.

Reply to
kimtitu

I'm far from a professional so I would probably wait till someone who knows more came along to take a guess but here's what I think...First off, your radiator capacity should be listed in your manual. From what I understand, in order to properly fill a radiator, you must first fill it till its topped out and then put the cap on and start the car. Let the car run long enough for the thermostat to open up and then take the cap off and fill the radiator the rest of the way up. This way the fluid is able to fill the entire system. I, like you, await a better answer from a bit more of a reputable source though.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Good advice! Most likely, the OP did not get all of the original coolant out, especially if the heater was not set on hot. When filling the radiator, the heater temperature control should be set on full hot. As far as whether the coolant mix is correct, the best thing to do would be to invest in an inexpensive coolant checker outer (less than U.S. $10.00) that looks like an eye dropper with colored balls floating inside and check the specific gravity.

Reply to
Ray O