Corolla 2002 - noise on CD and radio

Hi,

Few day ago while I was listening on Corolla standard factory radio I start to notice a noise that seems to change when I brake or accelerate. When I brake, is very low frequency and when I accelerate the frequency increase. When engine is running idle there is no noise.

There was no work done on the car, nor on engine, nor electrical noise started while I was driving normal.

Any ideas about how I can troubleshoot as I don't want to start buying another stereo and/or alternator useless?

Had anyone similar problems? Can this be from the radio/cd ?

Thank you,

Chris

Reply to
Zorba

How many miles? I am guessing the noise is like a whine. A whine usually is caused by the alternator, and usually means there is a bigger current draw. How much stuff did you have running? Heater, headlights, rear window defroster, etc, etc...having all this stuff on can cause a current draw, esp with a battery on the way out or an alternator needing some maintenance.

Although, it may be time for plug wires, but this is usually indicated by more of a snapping sound.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Factory radio?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hi,

The car have 71K miles and the sound is more like snapping when I brake. The snapping frequency seems to increase while I accelerate.

It is a standard radio.

Thank you,

Chris

Factory radio?

Reply to
Zorba

If it's a snapping, it may be time for new wires.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Has your AM reception changed or vanished? That's a sign of a bad antenna or antenna wire.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

To clarify, that is spark plug wires, not wires for the radio.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes factory radio and CD. After like 7-8 of annoying days in which I kind of renounced to use the radio and CD because of the noise, the noise went away without any intervention :-). Did not changed any spark plugs or wires or anything.

Thank you,

Chris

Factory radio?

Reply to
Zorba

The only thing I can think of is a loose connection that 'cured' itself by shifting. Engine block to battery ground strap, or hood ground strap, or the ground lead on the antenna...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

In my experience....cured by itself....isn't a forever thing....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida