2002 Corolla AC & CD Player Question

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Corolla and above the stereo -- you have two vents for heat/AC.

I've removed the OEM stereo (tape player) and put in a Sony model CD player. I've noticed though when the AC is ON and playing a CD -- the CD eventually skips because the AC chills the CD. I know this sounds odd but you can eject the CD and it's ice cold to the touch. I would imagine since the CD generates heat and the AC is so cold -- it creates condensation on the CD.

I guess my question is...

How would one prevent it? Any idea(s)?

Reply to
mrsteveo

Insulation. Either around the CD player or around the AC duct. Or both.

If you can't do that, then either don't play CDs in the summer or block off the AC ducts leading to the vents over the CD player.

You might also want to check and be sure that the duct to the center outlets is still connected at both ends and isn't blowing cold air on the player.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Your evaporator ducts may not be complete sealed and forced air was probably blowing on the player instead through the vents. Find out where chilled air is coming from and insulate that would be the best bet. I'd leave the player as is for heat dissipation -- you don't want to burn it out early with the heater on in winter.

Reply to
johngdole

I'll investigate all ideas. I'm pretty sure the air is blowing out of the vents and not directly on the radio. It blows out pretty darn forcefully so if it's not all coming out the vent, I would be shocked.

I'll play around with it. I'm not opposed to wrapping the stereo with an insulator either. I live in Fresno, CA so the heater is rarely if ever used... so that may work out the best.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Reply to
mrsteveo

Caution, don't wrap the entire radio/CD player in insulation. It will generate some heat as it plays and that heat needs to be able to escape. Put a layer on the top of the unit, see it that fixes things. Add more as needed but don't cover over 1/2 of the surface.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Rather than wrapping the radio with insulation, you would be better off wrapping the ductwork above the radio.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, CD's have a moisture layer you can wipe off. Kind of like your bathroom mirror after a shower.

Reply to
mrsteveo