Differences in MPG

93 Corolla 7AFE

What could cause the difference between getting much better MPG at 30 degrees, than at 50 degrees air temp?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

The same things that can cause much better MPG at 50 degrees than at 30 degrees, like

normal margin or error when calculating for just one or two tanks; driving conditions (traffic, roads, hills, etc.) driver vehicle payload fuel formulation number of warm-up cycles

Also, air is denser at lower temperatures.

Reply to
Ray O

Damn Sarah, you are fouling up the group with on topic posts!! JUST KIDDING. Probably has to do with the volume of the gasoline (ie probably a bit more energy in the colder gasoline and a bit more oxygen in the air. But thats only a guess. I don't see a whole lot of difference but both of ours are fuel injected and I'd guess yours is a carb.

I am sure Ray can explain it correctly

Ron in Idaho

Reply to
ron

and he already had!! R i I

Reply to
ron

But, unless one is burning too much fuel, that wouldn't matter.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sarah Houston wrote in news:Xns9BAFA128A81A0SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142:

What exactly are your numbers? How much better is your mileage at 30 versus

50?

What -- precisely -- was your test/measurement methodology?

Air is, in fact, as Ray O points out, denser at 30 than at 50. But 30 is also below the freezing point of water, which means the possibility of snow and ice on the road.

Cold, snow and ice mean longer warmup time, slower driving and heavier traffic. These have a tendency to more than offset any gains to be had in increased air density. Generally speaking, my experience is that ambient temperatures at or below freezing are accompanied by LOWER mileage on account of the aforementioned confounding factors.

Reply to
Tegger

Going down hill, or you got rid of the bodies in the trunk and cement in the backseat, or you finally had enough money for a real fill up, headwind at 50f, tailwind at 30f.

Reply to
ransley

Nope, EFI.

Reply to