Face The #1 Fact About Gas Prices

The government isn't going to do a damn thing about it. You must do something about it yourself like I just did.

I dumped my 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4 which got 20 mpg and bought a Yaris which gets 40 mpg. The Yaris is loaded with options that the Ranger didn't have and I only laid out $4500 difference which included tax and tag transfer. I now have a brand new vehicle which is under warranty for three more years or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper. My auto insurance also went down by $200 a year.

The best part is, I'm now driving a Toyota which should run forever :) Toyota just don't make a low quality vehicle even in their less expensive models, the quality still shows!

I love this little car and it's a blast to drive!

Rich

Reply to
Just Me

Basically, in this regard, you're preaching to the choir here.

Cathy (drives a Corolla, but would like a Prius)

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Cathy F." ...

Not really. Some people lurk here to get opinions on vehicles, so this is actually one of the most appropriate posts you could ever see here. You're just used to all the off-topic stuff LOL

Natalie who drives an Echo, but would like a Lexus

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Good for you. If people who didn't NEED an SUV would buy *ANYTHING* more fuel efficient, the demand side would lessen considerably...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not exactly

Hachi (Drives a Supra (21MPG) and isn't trading it for ANYTHING!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

My only question would be - if a Yaris is all he needs, why was he driving a 4X4 Pick-up in the first place?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Tiny pee-pee, and keeping up with the neighbors, who are idiots.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It was a Ranger, probably the smallest truck on the road...

Maybe he needed a truck when he bought it and his circumstances have changed?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Maybe, but it is my personal opinion that this does not explain the enormous increase in truck ownership over the years, based on numbers available from any state's motor vehicle bureau. Also available to anyone with eyes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't you drive a Tacoma?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Yes. I bought it for two reasons. First, I tow a boat almost every weekend, from early April to early November. Second, I knew I'd be working from home, so no commute. I may start keeping the boat in the water next year, at a nearby marina. If that happens, the truck will be sold and I'll pay the marina to tow the boat to my garage for the winter.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How much does it weigh?

Reply to
B A R R Y

About 1800 lbs with trailer, gas, and the usual array of crap in it (ice chest). Think carefully before posting your next response.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So it uses gasoline recreationally, as well as creating pollution in the way of exhaust and oil / fuel leakage into the water, every weekend?

If you purchased the ice and fuel at the marina, and moved some of the crap to the tow vehicle, would you still need the truck?

Reply to
B A R R Y

I don't trust your question mark. Is that really a question, or is it a conclusion? How much fuel does it use per year? Feel free to round to the nearest gallon.

Yes. Don't think "truck". Think "rear wheel drive", and "various boat launches", not "marina". If I go into great detail, will you promise to remove the noose from around your neck before you hang yourself?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Absolutely.

Subaru Impreza?

2000 lb. tow, AWD, 29 MPG highway.

I'm familiar with boat launches as a kayaker.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It's a 15 hp motor, 4 stroke. Clean as a whistle. I use about 10 gallons of fuel per season because I spend 99% of my time fishing, not moving. If cruising had been the purpose for this boat, I would've gotten a sailboat. When working on the motor, I take obsessive precautions to be sure that there's not a speck of oil residue in or on the motor. I hate seeing that rainbow oil slick coming from boats. The boat and motor were chosen with attention to "clean". People who screw up my water are criminals.

I interviewed every Subaru made in 2002. The legroom was too short, to the point where I considered it dangerous, especially when wearing winter boots. And, if I recall, they did not make a 6 cylinder car at the time. Although 4 cylinder cars may have stated towing capacities which *seem* sufficient, a number of important safety factors are not taken into consideration in those numbers.

The only other truly appropriate vehicle at the time was a Crown Victoria, which gets surprisingly good highway mileage for a V-8. Better than my Tacoma, due to the different gear ratio. A week before I test drove one, the news was full of reports of the exploding gas tank issue. That was the end of that idea. There were no other rear wheel drive cars available, except for trucks from the big 3. None of those offered a back seat that was comfortable for a 6 foot tall passenger.

Then, you know that boat launches might include a streetlight and a porta-potty, if you're lucky, but not an ice machine.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Just Me"

Yep, When we got the third driver in the family we went out and bought a new Prius and love it too. We also have solar panels on our roof. The final decision was between the Prius and the Yaris, and the Prius won for us. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

When I had the Ford Ranger I was doing construction work and needed a truck. Now I'm working in a local factory building kitchen cabinets. This is why I dumped the truck for a Yaris.

Rich

Reply to
Just Me

I done something to help myself out. I'm now driving a Toyota rather than a Ford and I'm also getting twice the mileage which is saving me money on gas. Also, I now have a new car warranty.

I sure didn't do it to try and lower the price of gas. I did it for ME!

Just think what the price of gas may be five years from now.

Rich

Reply to
Just Me