Does my old car still exist?

My favorite car was my bought-from-new 1977 Corolla SR5 Grey (Silver, it was called, but it was metalic grey) Hatchback. That was in the SF/SJ area of California. I added a Blaupunct Am / fm / casette above the stock radio, electric fan, stiffer front springs w 1/2 aluminum spacer just below the inner fender, rear roll bar (with re-welded brackets where the supplier welds gave way) and changed the 2TC to a 3TC when the clutch was showing wear at 180K miles. Syncros on 2nd showed wear when cold. (I drove it hard) I painted the Toyota (or Corolla) badge on the grille red over the original white, like the VW GT. I also installed a w/s washer bag and pump to spray water on the AC condensor when climbing the "Old Priest Road."

I never had to take the front wheel bearings apart! I still had the dealer-installed "anti-freeze cam" shims between the rear drums and wheels.

I gave it to my niece in San Diego when I moved to Europe (where I bought three Toyotas) in '91 (at 220k miles) and checked with the DMV when I got back in 2000 to see if I could find it.

Do you know anything about this car? (I sortta liked it)

KDH

KDH

Reply to
midlant

Ask your niece?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I forgot to mantion that she kept it for a while, but with growing kids, sold it in 1992. (She still kicks herself for that.) Nice kid, otherwise. (I actually considered bringing it to Europe with me, but it was to Engalnd, and it would be too much of a hazzle driving there with the wheel on the "wrong side".)

KDH

Gord Beaman wrote:

Reply to
midlant

If you still have any of the registration paperwork with the VIN number or the last known license plates, there's a simple way to see if it's still on the road in California. Go to the Bureau of Automotive Repair site, run the VIN or plate through, and the history of all smog checks including what station they were done at pops up.

Not enough to lead you to their house, but it gives you a rough history of the car and tells you what region it's in.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thank you for the link - I had checked with the DMV in early 2000, when I got a chance, and got a negative then, too.

I contacted this newsgroup in hopes that it might still exist with a NG member, as it may still be alive, but out of state.

For daily drivers I've had 8 Studebakers, 5 Toyotas and only one each of other makers, including a Willys Bermuda!

Thanks aga> On 12 Dec 2005 21:10:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: >

Reply to
midlant