Environmental groups hit Toyota on fuel economy

Environmental groups hit Toyota on fuel economy

Reuters October 12, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Leading environmental groups pressed Toyota Motor Co on Thursday to drop its opposition to the tougher of two fuel economy proposals in Congress, calling the automaker's stance contradictory.

In a letter to Shigeru Hayakawa, Toyota's chairman and chief executive of North American operations, the Union of Concerned Scientists, the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, the National Environmental Trust and other organizations said Toyota should support the higher standard since it makes the best-selling gasoline-electric hybrid, the Prius.

"Unfortunately, Toyota's recent lobbying in the U.S. Congress is inconsistent with its global reputation an environmentally and socially responsible company," the group's said.

Toyota, the global sales leader and big U.S. manufacturers oppose a measure passed by the Senate in June that would require the U.S. vehicle fleet of passenger cars, sport utilities, pickups and vans to average 35 miles per gallon by 2020, a 10 mpg improvement over today's standards.

Automakers are concerned the proposed method in the bill for calculating fuel savings would hurt their businesses by effectively limiting production of pickups and sport utilities. Those vehicles have been big sellers, but are generally less efficient than cars.

The auto companies support a less stringent bill proposed in the House of Representatives that sets a goal of 32 to 35 mpg by 2022.

Momentum has slowed in Congress for passage of energy legislation, including efforts to boost fuel economy to lessen dependence on foreign oil. There is no timetable for final action.

For decades, Toyota has built its business in the United States on efficient and reliable cars. But the company is now expanding its pickup production, taking sharper aim at a market dominated by General Motors, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC.

GM, Ford and Chrysler have for years successfully fought meaningful increases in fuel efficiency and emphasized larger more powerful vehicles such as sport utilities and pickups.

Toyota said it is on the right side of the fuel economy debate in supporting the House proposal, saying it is realistic and achievable.

"We have been an industry leader in fuel efficiency, consistently surpassing federal government standards," said Josephine Cooper, the company's top lobbyist.

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I read this last week in the paper.

If there was ever any evidence of the utter insanity of the enviro-nutbar lobby, this is it.

Consider: The environuts want 35mph CAFE by 2020. Toyota supports 32mpg CAFE by 2022.

Three mpg less, two years later, and Toyota is the Devil himself.

This is up from about 23-25mpg today.

Could this whole issue get any more ridiculous? Why do the nuts have any credibility, anyway? I guess piety is very much admired in certain circles, and the nuts are nothing if not pious.

You want to see how absolutely irrational and insane this whole thing is? Check out the NHTSA's CAFE FAQ:

Reply to
Tegger

If I was in charge, there would be no CAFE at all, but gas would cost $5 a gallon - but at least the roads would be in good condition and we wouldn't be trying to turn every road in America into another Toll Road.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If I was in charge, there would be no gas tax of any kind, and gas would be dirt cheap, as it naturally is.

If I was in charge, people would be free to build and sell whatever they figured other people would like and want.

But then again, if I was in charge, there would be no corporate welfare either, military or otherwise. So the lobbyists would starve to death.

If I was in charge, people would be left alone, to do as they wished. I would govern as Thomas Jefferson did, minus his 1807 trade embargo.

Reply to
Tegger

Whats congress complete requirement? just 35 mpg? How much will that

35 mpg SUV cost? What about crash safety test? With the current engine technology, the only way to reach this is by hybrid or diesel and using lightweight materials. Unless some scientist finds a way to make cars run on water.
Reply to
EdV

I vote for Tegger! Wait, aren't you Canadian...?

Reply to
badgolferman

He seems to forget the US provides all of the military protection for our Canada friends and a zillion other countries. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The question should be, why did we ever allow the government to bastardize the Commerce Clause to tell us how many MPG we should get on the vehicles we buy, or how much water we can use in our toilets or washing machines?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And who do us Canadians need protection from? Top-posters? The only thing Americans care about protecting in Canada is their investments, just like anywhere else.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
Realto Margarino

If a Canadian becomes a US president then McDonalds would start selling pouttine in the US =)

Reply to
EdV

"badgolferman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.readfreenews.net:

Not on purpose, believe me.

Reply to
Tegger

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:CdCdnZaluOYRaI3anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Where'd THAT come from?

Reply to
Tegger

EdV wrote in news:1192396451.119098.87470 @y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Not if I was President. I've never tried poutine, but it looks like barf.

Reply to
Tegger

Not your small world, obviously LOL

mike