How to retrieve something lost in dash vent?

Recently a small screwdriver fell into the dashboard vent at the base of the windshield (windshield defroster) in my van. Can anyone suggest how I might retreive it? Is there any kind of easy access to the base of the vent?

Vehicle is a 98 Toyota Sienna.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
jshock

Try using a mirror and a magnet on a string. Have someone guide you from the outside looking through the windshield if you can see it. If not, you may have to try accessing it through the ducting that is fed by the fan, next to the cabin air filter by dropping down or removing the glove box door. Try accessing the ductwork there. You will have to remove one or more of the runs to the vent area, just loosen the clamp if it is, disconnect by pulling the duct down and shake it a bit. It might come out. I've had to resort to a vacuum on one occasion to remove dead mice / nest. It's not going to be fun. If all else fails, buy a new screwdriver or van (only joking). Good luck.

Reply to
user

You can also buy magnets that a on the end of a long shaft made to get lost parts. Some are flexible and some are telescoping. You can get them at NAPA and Sears, I think, as well as other auto and tool places (e.g. Lowes and Home Depot), I think.

I don't know if there is enough room for these to be helpful in the windshield vents though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you can see the item looking through the windshield, get a flat magnet that will pass through the defroster grille and a length of heavy copper wire - #14 or #12, and some electrical tape. One person on the inside doing the fishing, one on the outside guiding.

Other than that, you'll have to root around under the dash and find a joint in the defroster duct that can be popped apart. Take your magnet and wire tool and fish for the screwdriver from there.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Why not simply BUY another screwdriver? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One could cut a hole in the windshield ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Unless it is loudly rattling around in there??!!

Reply to
sharx35

sucks out live mice too.

Reply to
Fr Corey

messagenews:Rv6dncRl75eZZZLanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net...

train some mice to fetch it.

Reply to
Fr Corey

It was my LUCKY screwdriver.

I haven't noticed it yet, but I'm sure my wife will start complaining about "a rattling noise" pretty soon.

I tried pushing some mice thru the vent, but they were "Julienned" ; )

This all sounds like more work than it's worth. I was hoping there was a hidden access panel somewhere specifically for cleaning out the vent. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reply to
jshock