First Drive: Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid

I assumed that a plug-in version of the Prius wouldn't be powerful enough when operating in electric-only mode, given that you have to accelerate gingerly in a regular Prius to achieve its top electric- only speed of 30 mph without triggering...

Read More:

----------------------------------- Toyota NewsHub: Auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmassey

Sounds impressive. Some EVs are starting to use capacitors, which are solid state devices that store electricity. If you open your computer and see the little things that look like mini soda-pop (or beer) cans, you are looking at capacitors. Capacitors don't store as much charge, but they can release it more quickly than batteries. By using both, you have the ability to store more energy and use it more rapidly (but not all of it rapidly).

It would be cool if Toyota added another mode, EV only mode, which uses only the battery, even if you floor it, until the batteries are depleted.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Toyota's hybrid battery management system starts to recharge the batteries before they are depleted

Reply to
Ray O

By depleted, I mean reach their minimum allowable charge without starting to charge the batteries with the motor.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I now understand what you meant. I took "depleted" to mean depleted, or empty. Toyota and other automakers working on plug-in technology like GM are working to increase battery capacity so that the cars can run longer, further, and faster without having to begin the recharging process.

Reply to
Ray O