Fix 1 Rear Bearing - $150 or $350 - 93 4Runner

What is the right price to replace a rear wheel bearing? $150 or $350 Right rear wheel bearing.

1993 4Runner, 170K, 3L, 4x4, auto

My two usual shops want $350'ish for the job.

- One sealed bearing, seal kit, labor,

- AND a differential service they both said is necessary even though I had this done on PM basis a few months ago.

The $150 solution!? But I know that break shops do this work all the time too and I called a Just Breaks shop that is nearby and they said the parts and labor is $150. (Just $150???)

- Told them this was half of what my other estimate was... they offered to charge more to make me feel better ;-)

- They said they use OEM spec parts and unless there is other damage all they have to do is "just press on the new bearing along with a seal kit" and they do not charge "like the full hour rate shops".

- Is this low bid just bait to get me up on the rack and then say they found another $200 in "other damage" that is really just normal stuff for this job?

Sooooo.... who is telling the truth and who is making me make their motorcycle payment?

Thanks Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

I have a question, why do you need to replace the bearing? are you doing it for maintanence, is the bearing worn, or is the oil seal leaking?

to get the axle off, the shop will need to disassemble the rear brakes, remove 4 nuts, then use a slide hammer to pull the axle free from the housing. it's been a while since I've done it, so I don't quite remember if the backing plate comes off with the axle (but I think it does). if the backing plate does need to come off, the brake line to the wheel cylinder will need to be disconnected. then they'll need to remove the locking ring and press the bearing off. once the bearing is off, the axle is cleaned and lightly lubed to assist with the installation of the new oil seal and bearing. the bearing and lock ring are then pressed on, then everything is put back together. don't forget, since a brake line may have been disconnected, the rear brakes will need to be bled. now if the oil seal was leaking, you probably need to have the brake shoes replaced and the drums may need machining or replacing if they're out of specs.

Reply to
: P

I am doing this because... I noticeable low growl in the last few days... and because one of my shops put it up on a lift late Friday just as they were trying to close up and found the exactly the problem. No oil issues at all... just roller bearing in the sealed unit is dead and it wants to kill the others.

I do not have the talent to do the task you describe above... it is worth $150 or $350 to do all of that?

Thx Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

Get a breakdown in the price from both places, see what you're dealing with. If the cheap place is using Toyota parts, then the only place they can be undercutting the other shop is in labor; which can vary a good deal depending on where you go. The amount of labor should be about the same - labor is pretty standardized these days. So.... get a breakdown, see where the savings are. Usually, if something is unusually cheap, it's like that for a reason, but genuine deals present themselves from time to time. .

Reply to
qslim

$150 sounds low to me.

Reply to
Ray O

$150 total seems a bit low, especially if the parts are included in the total. another thing you may want to consider, are you just having the 1 side done or are both rear axle bearings being replaced. maybe the shop that's quoting the $350 is planning on doing both sides and the shop quoting the $150 is just planning to do 1 side. personally, if it were my truck and I had the money to do it, I'd be replacing both axle bearings. mainly because they were installed at the same time (if never changed) and both bearings should have experienced the same load, wear, and age.

Reply to
: P

The $350'ish shops are just for one side. Both said it is not that common for a wheel bearing to die in the 2nd Gen 4R's and advised not to mess with the good one.

The $150 estimate just seems to-good-to-be-true at $200 less than the other shops.

Thx Dave-in-Denver

Sure I want to

Reply to
dwkerschen

Yes I am concerned that I am being setup with a low-ball estimate.

I am leaning towards using one of my 2 usual shops who specialize in Japanese stuff rather than a generic break shop.

Thx Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

Thanks, I do not have paper list of task and parts but the verbal description from the break shop was just like my 2 regular shops... except that the break shop did not think it necessary to do a differential service. I do not know how much diff job costs... can not be $200. I will find out... THANKS.

Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

I would expect at least a $200+ ticket for a bearing job. $350 is a bit high, but not screaming bloody murder high imo......

Reply to
S.Lewis

If you have been quoted that price get it in writing, tell them that the work quoted on is the ONLY work to be carried out and see what happens. Ive done this before and while they di dspot something else wrong (That I ended up fixing) the work they did was work they do lots of so had the task down pat. Most places charge on book time not actual time. Your $150 place may indeed know how to fix it faster than book time.

Reply to
Scotty

Welcome to the real world of outrageously high priced Japanese parts and Japanese brand shop rates. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The difference is....

When you fix a Toyota it stays fixed.

When I owned Fords....you could count on a reoccurrence of the same damned failure. (Air Conditioning, Transmissions Alternators etc etc etc).

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Or... Obtain a used axle shaft from a local purveyor and swap it out! Optimistically, it could be as easy as changing a tire. The bearing, seal kit and retainer should be intact with the recycled axle. The replacement part should be from a non-bleeding donor. What? Maybe $20?

Reply to
Jeff

You must know by now that not every owner performs the required maintenance. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I am leery of chain shops that specialize in mufflers, oil changes, brakes, etc. because they tend to hire inexperienced mechanics in order to keeps costs down and they usually use aftermarket parts. Changing the exhaust system, changing the engine oil, and doing a brake jobs are very easy and so someone could probably learn to do those operations in an hour or so. If you have a shop that you are comfortable with, I would stick with that shop.

Reply to
Ray O

Well guess what.... Look what I found when I checked the BBB on Just Breaks since I was still suspicious of their price.

" Complaints are concerning advertising and selling practices, repairs, and customer service." "...then represents that additional work is needed, at substantial additional cost." "Complaints also allege unsatisfactory repairs and unsatisfactory customer service."

So I will pick a shop I have used rather than a low-ball estimate. Will you you all the total damage.

Thx! Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

FYI... got the job done today... cost me $331.

- wheel bearing - $65

- Seal - $15

- Labor - $228

- Dif oil - $11

Thanks everyone for your comments! Dave-in-Denvfer

Reply to
dwkerschen