1994 paseo

I have a paseo that starts fine when cold. If you drive the car and shut it off for a few minutes it is hard to start. The only way I can get it to start is push the gas pedal to the floor and it starts like it is flooded. I took out the injectors and had them rebuilt but that did not help.

Reply to
Timhryciw

Does the coolant temperature gauge work properly? I am not sure if that model has 1 or 2 coolant temperature senders, check to make sure they are working properly by checking to see if the voltage goes up as coolant temperature goes up.

Reply to
Ray O

Temperature gauge works fine. The car is driven 35 miles each way to work mostly on the freeway. Runs great lots of power just don't stop for gas or a mocha. Because then it is hard to start once it starts it runs fine. If it sits for

1/2 hr to an hour no trouble starting it. Tim
Reply to
Timhryciw

I think that there is more than 1 coolant temperature sender, and the one for the computer may not be working so the computer thinks that the car is cold and gives the engine an extra shot of fuel, which ends up flooding the engine.

Also check the basics - air filter, make sure that there are no holes, cracks, or gaps in the black plastic intake snorkel between the air filter housing and the throttle body. If the spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor are old or are aftermarket, check their function and see if you are getting a spark when it is hard to start.

Reply to
Ray O

Where is the thermostat for the computer located? The plugs, dist cap and rotor are only about a month old. Thanks for your help. Tim

Reply to
Timhryciw

Sorry, I cannot remember where the coolant temperature sender for the computer is located on a 1994 Paseo. The one for the temperature gauge is usually located near the thermostat housing, and there may be a second one nearby.

What brand are the plugs, distributor cap, and rotor? How old are the spark plug wires? Was base ignition timing checked after the distributor cap was replaced? Did you replace the ignition parts as part of a tune-up or did you replace them for another reason?

Reply to
Ray O

The plugs(ngk) cap and rotor were replaced as part of a tune up timing was checked. Plug wires are Toyota brand not sure how old they are but they are soft and not cracked.

Reply to
Timhryciw

I am running out of ideas without actually seeing the car, so it is time to go back to basics. An engine need 3 things to operate, all at the appropriate time and amounts. Check for air, fuel, and spark. My guess is that you are not getting spark, or you are getting too little air, or the computer thinks the engine has not warmed up so it is over-enriching the engine.

Reply to
Ray O

The temperature sending unit for the computer tested bad. Got a new sending unit and the car runs great again. Thanks

Reply to
Timhryciw

Thank you for the update!

It's nice to know that my initial thought was correct, and that I haven't forgotten too much about cars ;-)

Reply to
Ray O