Isuzu Wheel stud

During a recent tire replacement, one of the wheel studs on our 1999 Isuzu Rodeo came loose from the hub. The stud just spun around and the lug nut could not be loosened. The mechanic told me it had rounded out the hole in the hub and that I would need a new hub from the dealer at a cost of $105, which i okayed. Later I was told that the mechanic could have simply replaced the stud with an oversized stud at a nominal cost. Is this true? Did I get ripped off for $105? Any info would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

During a recent tire change one of the wheel studs on our 1999 Isuzu Rodeo came loose from the hub. The lugnut could not be tightened ot loosened. The mechanice told me that the stud had rounded out the hole in the hub and I would have to get a new hub from Isuzu at a cost of $105, which I okayed. I was later told that the mechanice could have simply replaced the stud with an oversized stud at a nominal cost and I would not have had to replace the hub. Is this true? DId I get ripped off for $105?? Any info would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

Ask yourself this question. Will a larger diameter bolt fit the hole in my wheel?

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

You probably could have gotten by with a replacement wheel stud. This happened to me once..I took out the old one with a tie rod end removal tool..splines on hub stripped. I bought an aftermarket wheel stud for a couple of bucks and pressed it in with the same tool. No problems so far.

Reply to
Murphy

If the hole was really worn, chewed up, and oversized, then an oversize stud may not have worked. Would have to see this one to be sure.

Reply to
Paºul <pyªats@texxxas.net>

This seems a good time for a spot weld--after tightening the stud u plan to use. I'd sure try it as last resort before buying new rotor. The weld would be merely to hold the stud for tightening/loosening--much diff. from 'riding on a weld'.

Reply to
sdlomi