FYI on Synthetic Oil

Well, you caught me with a new word. Never seen or read it before, so if fit right in with typos we've seen around here lately. Mea culpa.

As I said in earlier posts, my info was/is ten years old. Numerous articles, including many read and posted on rmh, spoke of not mixing PAO and paraffin-based synthetics. The manufacturers also cautioned against it. Any search engine will uncover dozens if not hundreds of articles.

Don't I hear Judy calling you in for dinner?

Reply to
witfal

Someone very familiar with rmh.

Still got the Duc? How's EK? Where are all the AH's? MITM still going on?

Reply to
witfal

Not at all. I could post my name, but you'd still not recognize it.

I used a "nym" on rmh for years, starting almost twelve years ago. Time flies.

No more HD's. Too much trouble.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I was surprised when I saw your name.

Reply to
witfal

The things one learns on Usenet! I'd never heard of or seen this word before, AFAICR. I double-checked it in the dictionary - yep. (Now, if only I could *remember* it.)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

witfal opin'd thus:

Uhhh . . . "miscible" MEANS "mixable". That is, two liquids are miscible if they are "capable of being mixed in any concentration without separation of phases" . . . .

Cite, please.

I have. I've been mixing different brands of oils with impunity[*] for quite a while. As long as they both have the SAE seal, they are happy together.

[*] impunity: "exemption from punishment or loss"
Reply to
Don Fearn

Don Fearn opin'd thus:

Oops; I meant the "API" seal, or "donut" as it's referred to here:

-D

Reply to
Don Fearn

witfal opin'd thus:

OK . . . rmh? Judy?? Who IS this, anyway???

-pooder th' . . . whatever . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

witfal opin'd thus:

But too shy to say who you really are . . . ?

No.

'Bout the same.

On rmh. Of course.

Not as it was . . . .

-pooder th' AH bastard

Reply to
Don Fearn

"Cathy F." opin'd thus:

Just shows to go ya; education happens when you least expect it!

"We learn more on this show by accident than others learn on purpose!"

Or something like that . . .

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

I have one question about synthetic oil. Why should I pay extra to use it?

I have had several cars that have had between 100,000 to 150,000 miles on them with no major engine repairs. My youngest son has two Chrysler V6 cars, one with just over 170,000 miles and one with over

200,000 miles...again no major engine repairs. Another son has a Ford with over 150,000 miles. It has been my experience that, by the time I get 120,000 miles on a car, it needs some major chassis repairs (struts, steering linkage, etc.) that usually means I trade cars. Given that the engine will out last the rest of the car on standard multi weight oil, why use synthetic?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Jack: As I said in my earlier post: "There were two reasons why I was thinking about going with Mobil 1. The first reason was that the engines used in the Sienna had a tendency to develop sludge. While I feel this problem has been corrected, using synthetic oil would greatly reduce this possibility. The second reason is my oil change frequency. I drive about 10,000 miles a year, and change oil three times. With Mobil 1, I will feel safe in going to two changes, which is only 5,000 miles between changes". Charles Ranheim

Reply to
cranheim

Depends on how often you change your oil with conventional oil products. If you change your conventional oil at 3000 miles, you can easily go 6000 miles and have better engine protection with a full synthetic.

You will get slightly better gas mileage with a full synthetic, may 1-2%.

Maybe you could avoid "any" engine repairs (other than maintenance) with a full synthetic, instead of avoiding "major" engine repairs with conventional oil.

If you sell your car, and have accurate records of oil changes with a full synthetic, you will probably get a little more money for it.

Do the math. In the long run, a full synthetic usually does not cost more than conventional oil, and many times it costs far less.

Reply to
Mark A

In my case, I feel I can safely get away with two oil & filter changes a year with Mobil 1, instead of three changes with conventional oil. I generally put 10,000 miles a year on my Sienna. The dealership recommends changing conventional oil every 3500 miles. The service manager sees no problem changing synthetic oil every 5000 miles, or twice a year. I can buy Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club at a good price. The difference in cost per year is not really that much when I eliminate one of the oil & filter changes. I will still use Toyota filters, because I can get them from the dealer for $4.50 on sale. Charles Ranheim

Reply to
cranheim

If you are trading cars at 120,000 miles, there is no real advantage to using synthetic.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm a little lazy this morning, do the math for us.

Changing oil with conventional at 5,000 vs changing full synthetic at

5000.

5000 is chosen, cause that is when Toyota recommends oil changes these days in the States.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I'm at 208,000 in my '92 Corolla. I don't trade....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Some people do change their oil at 3000 miles. If you use a full synthetic, you can go 5000 miles (or more if not under warranty) and get better engine protection than using conventional oil with 3000 mile change intervals.

Reply to
Mark A

In Canada as well. mred

Reply to
mred

I think there is one thing we can all agree on. That thing is that we all have different opinions as to the merits of using synthetic oil, and that we will never convince anyone to change their mind about it. Thanks to all who posted their ideas and comments. I appreciate your time. Charles Ranheim

Reply to
cranheim

Scott hit the head of the nail (hmmm, is that right?) hehehe

I change my oil every 4000 to 5000 miles. The reason I change my oil isn't because the oil is worn out, it's because it's dirty. The filter won't take out really small parts and pieces but changing the oil and filter will. Using synthetic oil won't change the amount of dirt the oil picks up.

I trade / replace my cars when the costs of needed repairs equals about 1/2 the value of the car. My dad used to call it "Nickle and dime'ing you to death". Those repairs are almost always either chassis or transmission related, only once have I had an engine failure (broken overhead cam on a Chrysler 2.5 L 4 banger).

The last time I bought a quart of synthetic oil for my snow blower, the cost was about 3 times the cost of the equivalent weight of conventional oil. Granted that I didn't shop around for it, I just went to Auto Zone and got a quart. But at that price premium, my $25 oil change on my car would be somewhere around $70 (Labor and filter would be the same). That means that I would be spending about $900 more on oil changes over 100,000 miles. In 200,000 miles we would be close to the price of a short block.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP