Had your O2 sensor replaced lately?

Are 02 sensors just an American thing? Living in Australia, I don't think i've ever had to change or heard someone else change an 02 sensor.

-Michael-

Reply to
Michael

Cleaner air perhaps........... ;0)

Reply to
ByTor

Before I advise anyone to change parts, I advise them to check the part and related system to see if they are good or not.

In an OBD II system, a loose gas cap can illuminate the malfunction indicator light (MIL, commonly referred to as a check engine light). If a gas cap was left loose, there is no need to replace it.

Reply to
Ray O

While I am struggling with my 2000 Corolla for P0420 code(O2 sensor related), my other Corolla 2001 has the same code shown up. 2001 Corolla has only 73K miles on it. My 2000 Corolla had it Cat & O2 sensors replaced at 30K within warranty period. It really sucks for a Toyota car.

Reply to
wenmang

They're more of a "Densely Populated Country" thing - US, Canada, UK, Japan.

Places where there are Eco-Freaks screaming that "The air is Filthy, we have to Do Something!", so they pass emissions laws. The car makers choke down the engines to 'Super Low Emissions' and 'Practically Zero Emissions' - and the next year the politicians want even more.

They've never heard of the 'law of diminishing returns', when you are already approaching zero any small improvement costs a lot.

Best part of it is, they trumpet how bad the LA air still is, and 'We have to do better' - but they've periodically slid down the various PPM levels (NOx, O3, CO, Particulates, H2S, etc.) of what they rate as 'bad' over the years. The same levels would have ranked as 'Absolutely Pristine' just a few decades ago...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

a few posts prior in this thread the catalytic converter came up. 'check engine' light has been going on and off in my 2003 highlander,

72K miles > >
Reply to
skiguy02920

Bruce, It specifically states in my warranty (02 Sienna) that the O2 sensors ar only warranted to 30K, even though other emission parts are covered to 50K. If you have a 80K extended warranty that does not exclude the expensive ($230) O2 sensors, you are lucky.

$2K for a cat is outrageous. $230 for a fancy spark plug with special wires coming out is ridiculous. Just got the plastic molding on the sliding door scraped, no metal damage, cost to replace and repaint two plastic panels $550 (other driver's fault, her insurance). The costs involved in maintaining my Toyota are unreasonable, and I'd never buy one again.

Lena

Reply to
Lena