mysterious problem with 84 corolla diesel (WON'T START)

about a month ago i purchased an 84 corolla diesel, but just got it insured this past friday. i drove it about 50 miles to the spot where my friends and i play music, then after a few hours drove it another 3 miles to my friend's house. it drove fine with no noticeable problems whatsoever. as one of my friends was leaving the house we were at, he accidentally backed into my car, bumping it enough to crack the cover of the left hazard light but nothing else (no structural damage, even the bulb itself was fine.

here's where it gets strange: when i went to check on the car, turning the key in the ignition did absolutely nothing. no dash lights, no open door buzzer, no attempt to turn over, absolutely nothing. but, the headlights and hazard lights work absolutely fine. the battery has plenty of juice, but we tried jumping it for the hell of it (no effect). none of us have much mechanical knowledge, but we've traced wires and checked fuses as much as we know how to no effect. i've even taken the plastic cover under the dash off to check the wiring harness coming out of the ignition, but everything appears to be fine. if anyone has any suggestions it would be a huge help. at this point all i can think to do is replace all the fuses because i don't really know how to check them, or pull it to a local garage. thanks in advance

nathan

Reply to
masterofyeoldepuppets

The fact that the headlights or hazard lights work does not mean that the battery has "plenty of juice." It should be checked with a volt meter. Also, check the condition of the battery clamps, ground connections, starter relay, and ignition switch. The proper way to check a fuse is to pull it out and check it with a continuity tester or ohm meter although you can usually check it visually because the filament in the middle will be melted.

Since the no-start condition started after the car was bumped, I'd check to make sure the battery clamps are tight and the negative cable is properly grounded.

Reply to
Ray O