help??

I have an 87 toyota p/up 22r and i'm having sputtering/stalling problems. I had just recently bought the vehicle and it was running fine, until the fuel pump gave out. So I replaced it and it ran, but had sputtering problems. I tried to adjust the two adjustments (throttle and fuel on the side of carb) so it runs. So now it runs but it runs like crap. It's running rich too. Suggestions??

Reply to
nik

I have a suggestion for the next time you run into a drivability problem, and that is to not mess with a carburetor adjustment unless you really understand what you are doing or you mark the adjuster position before making any changes so that you can return it to its previous setting.

Since the engine was running fine before the fuel pump gave out, the carburetor was probably adjusted properly, and when you changed the settings, things got worse.

As far as what caused the sputtering when you replaced the fuel pump, possible causes are bad replacement fuel pump, incorrect fuel pump replacement procedure, clogged fuel filter, and if the pump is electric, a problem with the fuel pump wiring.

If you did mark the original settings, put things back the way they were, or take it to a competent technician to have it put back.

Reply to
Ray O