High idle while lights are turned on (1988 Corolla FX-16)

I just recently fixed my 1988 toyota and it is running great. I might be able to get a few more years out of it..... I noticed that while the lights are turned on the engine will idle higher than normal. As soon as I turn off the lights, the idle will go back to normal. Anyone out there that might have an idea as to why this is happening???

Reply to
d.tesch

Yes, that's the 'idle up' circuit, same thing happens when the compressor for the air conditioning comes on...perfectly normal...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

FX16, huh...

I think you need to get rid of this car. It's beyond help. For a mere $125 I'll take it off your hands so it won't bother you again...Uh, how many miles on the engine?? ;)

As far as your problem, you may have a weak alternator, or a battery going flat. Try a different battery; the alternator is trying to make up for the lack of current required when you turn on the lights. The battery should be supplying the bulk of the current for the lights, and it doesn't appear to be doing so.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachi, I hope you're just joking with your explanation there?...:)

I, too, think that he should sell it to you cheap...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I didn't think so...

I think so...