Hitch height on Sienna

Hi,

I recently had installed a Hidden Hitch with a 2" receiver to my 2004 Sienna. I use it to carry bikes (4), not to tow anything. On a camping trip, with the van full of camping gear, 4 people, and 4 bikes on the hitch, I found it stressful driving over any kind of bump or dip in the road as the hitch could (and did) bottom out and hit the pavement. On one occasion, when I came out of a mall entrance where the curb was about 1.5" higher than the pavement, the hitch hit particularly hard.

This van is factory-equipped to tow, and therefore I think it's reasonable to expect that I can install a hitch with a 2" receiver (although I don't tow anything, as indicated above). The van also has a large cargo capacity, meaning one can expect to load it up; as well camping gear is not particularly heavy, it's not like I was moving a load of bricks or lumber, or patio stones, etc. I find it disappointing that it cannot seem to handle what I consider to be a reasonable loading condition.

Have others experienced the same issues? What solutions are there? I called Toyota and they were totally unhelpful. They said nothing could be done to raise the vehicle or beef up the suspension. They even implied the use of the hitch could void the warranty as they might argue I'm using it to pull excessive loads (and I don't tow). I asked about air shocks, and they said they don't supply these, and again don't recommend them as it could void the warranty.

Thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. Could air shocks solve my problem? What about the warranty?

Thanks.

Reply to
Denis

I'm thinking of getting a Sienna and saw quite a rew posts on this topic in the forums section -totyota siennna problems and soulutions. Have you looked there?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

What is actually hitting the ground? Is it the receiver or the bike rack? We also have a hitch-mounted bike rack and it sticks out enough that it used to occasionally bottom out on our Previa due to the low position of the receiver. We don't have that problem with our Sequoia since it sits so high off the ground.

You may be able to reduce the bottoming out a little bit by loading the heaviest items as far ahead of the rear axle as possible.

Because of liability issues, manufacturers cannot suggest aftermarket accessories or modifications that they have not tested. As far as modifications voiding your warranty, only the specific parts of the vehicle affected by the modification have their warranty voided. Your radio, engine, etc. are unaffected. For example, if you install air shocks or air bag lift kits, you won't have warranty coverage on your suspension or perhaps brake lines if they are stretched out because of the amount of lift, and keep in mind that the vehicle will handle differently if it is unloaded and the rear suspension is sitting higher. Any warranty coverage for issues related to the installation of a lift kit or air shocks would have to be covered by either the installer or kit manufacturer.

Reply to
Ray O

KYB gas-o-jet, mono tube shocks (KYB is the OEM supplier to Toyota), will lift the rear end of your vehicle slightly due to the high pressure spring type of action of these shocks (about an inch or so). This might be an easy solution. They are a great shock, sort of a less expensive Bilstein from Japan.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Sounds overloaded to me.

Do the math and read the manual.

If the bikes were department store bikes on the typical hitch mount rack, you were probably also at or over the 200 pound tongue weight capacity of a typical minivan. Now put all the weight WAY out on the rear tip of the body, and think of the leverage it has.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I think I forgot to mention the 'location' of the forum is at Edmunds.com.

Geez.. this humidity has me so Alabama...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I weigh 155 and when I step on my hitch I do not see a drop in the height between the bumper and ground on my 04 Sienna and I got stuff loaded in the back end. I got a Hidden hitch installed.

Reply to
Dbu.

Reply to
Denis

So these are not adjustable, i.e. you don't add pressure to them to account for varying loading conditions?

Reply to
Denis

Camping gear is not overly heavy compared to other stuff you might carry. The van is seven passenger. On this trip, we were four, and the two rear passengers weighed collectively 150 pounds (my 2 kids). If the van was carrying 7 adult passengers, I should have been able to carry, in addition to the driver and passenger, 5 X 150 lbs (for the average adult). My 2 kids weigh 150 lbs together, so that leaves 4 X 150 lbs 600 lbs for the camping gear and the bikes. There's no way both weighed as much as that. Yes, the bikles hang out the rear of the van and will worsen the load on the rear, but still......

Reply to
Denis

Out of curiosity, how many people are in teh van when you do this? Any idea how much weight is in the van? And could you tell me what the height is between the bottom of the 2" receiver and the ground? I'm just trying to figure out if there's a problem with my suspension, compared to other Siennas. Thanks.

Reply to
Denis

The best solution is to get and install an inflatable spring bladder. Firestone and AirLift make models for the Sienna.

Pumping the bladder to max psi (35 psi) will lift the rear end 2+ inches (thus offsetting a 2+ inch droop from a heavy load or tongue weight.

I suggest checking out

for posts from forum members (including myself) regarding choosing and installing (or having installed) such a device.

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

It is possible that the Hidden Hitch sits lower than other brands of hitches. Combined with the Sienna's tendancy to sag when loaded, it could account for bottoming out.

Someone else has suggested the lift bag kit, it sounds like a good solution.

Reply to
Ray O

Ever weigh it?

I know I was shocked the first time I rolled my commonly carried loads across gravel pit scales.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Correct, they do not adjust for height.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I believe that the "factory" hitch offers a wee bit more clearance, but that is essentially because it's only a class 2 hitch and has smaller diameter frame and reciever. The Hidden Hitch is a class 3 hitch with 2" diameter reciever and a larger frame. So you are probably only talking about a 1/2" to 3/4" difference.

The basic problem with the 2004+ Sienna is that the 3rd row fold-down seats storage area limits how high any of the hitch receivers can go.

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

If I were to do some serious towing, like a travel trailer or big boat, I'd have bought a Honda Pilot or equiv. Much better for towing big stuff and you don't have to worry about clearances. The Sienna is a great vehicle and I would not want my ride compromised by alterations to the suspension.

Reply to
Dbu.

That answer sounds questionable to me. Unless that gas tank extends down and under the rear bumper (which I seriously doubt) there's almost always room for a custom receiver hitch under the bumper. Though they might have to get really creative making the plates to attach the hitch to the chassis at the ends.

The receiver tubing (where the hitch shank plugs in) only needs to be about six inches long and can go through the main cross tube to minimize ground clearance losses. And they almost always put a protection plate at the back of the receiver tube, in case of an accident where the receiver (or an overly long riser shank that sticks out the back) might be pushed forward into the gas tank.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

the gas tank is forward of that area.

I would never let any welder touch my Sienna. The ready made hitches bolt on easy and the clearance is adequate. For bigger and heavier tows get a Pilot or equiv.

Reply to
Dbu.