How secure are std locks on Sienna?

Without the alarm system package just how secure are std locks on the doors and the steering column on the Sienna?

What are the chances of someone 'sending' an unlock signal to one or all cars in a parking lot?

Years ago there was a report about a car with a small hole just below the door handle and to gain access one only needed to insert a needle. Any such over-ride on T cars?

joe

Reply to
joe

The locks are secure enough to stop amateur joy riders. I am not aware of any automotive lock that will stop seasoned theives.

The chances that a particular unlock signal will unlock a randomly chosen car is something like 1 in 500,000, probably the same as with a garage door opener. The chances that an unlock signal will unlock all cars in a parking lot is practically zero since the cars would all have to be programmed with the same signal.

Toyotas have a shield behind the door handle to prevent this after a "consumer advocate" demonstrated that trick on national TV, resulting in hundreds of thefts in the next day.

Reply to
Ray O

OK - so I remembered correctly. A real feat these days. CRS is getting to me.

Comprehensive insurance (SHOULD pay for theft, fire & vandalism) cost only about $15 per year less 1k deductible. Does this all mean that thefts are rare and only by the most skilled?

joe

What buy $1,000 deductible when one can buy ZERO deductible for only about $100 more?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Does this all mean that thefts are rare and only by the most skilled?

The frequency of thefts depends on several factors:

Vehicle location; whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked; whether anything valuable is visible from outside the vehicle; and the vehicle itself. I remember reading somewhere that the majority of theft of items from inside the vehicle are from unlocked vehicles.

It does not take skill to break a window but it does take some skill to get a modern vehicle with anti-theft immobilizer systems started. Of course, a tow truck will defeat just about any lock ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I go jogging early in the morning, sometimes before daybreak. I am amazed at the number of cars parked at the curbs with their windows wide open.

Reply to
'dbu"

Sometimes its unintentional, but also often its the owner trying to get the vehicle stolen to get the insurance to pay off the loan/lease.

Same applies to people "selling" boats on trailers with no security chain or wheel removed ie just asking for thieves to tow it away.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

automotive lock that will stop seasoned theives.

is something like 1 in 500,000, probably the same as

cars in a parking lot is practically zero since the

I assume a car remote uses a rolling code like my Sears garage door opener. The Sears manual description of the rolling codes feature sounds awesome.

-- snip -- "the rolling code changes with each use, randomly accessing over 100 billion new codes."

-- snip --

wow long link. 8) Dan

Reply to
Danny G.