2002 Jetta // Power Locks Not Working On 3 Doors

The power locks are only working on the front passenger door. The driver?s door works once and a while. The back doors don?t work at all. I found a Q&A on a 94 jetta saying I should check out the red vaccuum hoses in the boots of each door because one of them probably came loose. Maybe VW switched to electric because I did not find any red hoses...just electrical wires...which looked okay. All the fuses seem to be okay also.

Any ideas?

-JZ

Reply to
JZantello

I believe they are electric. It is not uncommon for one or more wires to break internally where they connect between the door and the frame. The wire may look ok from the outside.

Reply to
jmeehan

Yes they should be electric. So the doors do not lock or unlock by any means? The inside switch, the remote pressing it twice nor the key in the driver's door handle?

Did this happen all at once or did it happen 1 door lock at a time? I just had to replace the LF door lock on a 1999 Jetta since it was not unlocking remotely nor turning off the alarm. The lock was about $280 at the dealer but now it is working very well. BTW when I was playing with the lock, off of the car but still plugged in, I could squeeze it and it would work. I will assume that the solder inside was probably cracked/loose and not allowing the current to flow. I may take this lock apart one day to examine it. ;-) Read here about the Passat locks

dave AKA vwdoc1

I had to replace 3 of the 4 door lock mechanisms on my 2000 Jetta. I tried rebuilding one of the lock mechanisms one time just for kicks and to determine what failed. It seems to be the motor. Either the brushes wore down, or a winding burned out, because they would only start from certain rotational positions. There were also a few dodgy switches in the mechanisms here and there.

The only reliable fix is to replace the modules. You'll need a special

12-point bit to get the latches out of the doors and a couple Torx bits to get the door apart and (IIRC) a 10mm socket to loosen the window clamp and remove the glass so you can get the service plate off. There are about 12 bolts around the perimeter of the door access plate. The back doors are worse than the front doors. You have to remove the triangular part of the pillar between the fixed and moving windows to make enough room to get the latch out. Also, the rear windows have holes in them through which a nylon pin secures them in place. This pin has to be removed by turning a screw into it and pulling it out.

All in all it's a fairly involved process. I can get the driver's door apart in about 20 minutes, but I've had a lot of practice at this point. Look on ebay for the lock modules. That's where I got all of mine as salvage. Expect to pay about $80 per unit, maybe a little more for the LF one. The Bentley manual has some pretty good instructions about disassembling the doors, which you'll absolutely need if you plan to take this on.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean