Outback wagon rear hatch won't open

the rear hatch on my 98 outback wagon is stuck shut. I can hear the lock move when I use the key or the power lock button, but it will not open. Any help?

<peigner> wrote:

I had that happen once. I crawled in and flipped up the access flap behind the key mechanism and pushed it all the way towards unlock by hand and it seemed to do the trick. I think it happens when the mechanism is locked, but you have your hand on the handle as it shuts....not sure, never bothered to try to reproduce it.
--
Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"
Dominic Richens wrote:

Mine did the same and antirust lubrication solved the problem. In the meantime, do this: lock the hatch with key, push the handle fully toward the car, unlock, pull on the handle. It should work. Corrosion of the handle's pivot points prevents the spring from getting the handle back toward the car, unlocking only slides a lever in front of the handle mechanism which in turn catches this lever when you pull on it. When the handle stays pulled the lever slides BEHIND the handle mechanism and it does'nt catch anything when you pull on it.
replying to Dominic Richens, dsengel35 wrote: having the same problem just bought the 2000 legacy outback inserted key wont turn left to lock or right to unlock tried pulling on hatch lever but it did work for a day or so after I bought it
On 1/14/04 9:28 PM peigner wrote:

Maybe because the rear handle/license plate illumination assembly is corroded beyond recognition and the handle is stuck? Happened on both my Legacies. :(
florian

We have the same problem. '97 Outback. Soon after buying the car the handle assemble was totally rusted out. Replaced under warrenty. Now for the past couple weeks the handle release will sometimes work, sometimes not. When it doesn't and you try to pull on the handle it just 'gives'. No resistance, as if it isn't engaging any release mechanism....
--
-Phil Marshall-
{remove 9 for mail}

It happened to me too. Just unlock it, then open the little door that gives access to the tail light, and yank on the metal rod. That should open the door. Then spray the lock with WD40. It should be good for another 6 months at which point you'll have to repeat the process :-)
- Manuel.