2000 Sonata, how to open the trunk lid with a key?

I can?t open my 2000 Hyundai Sonata?s trunk lid only with a key. Do you know how to set the trunk lid to make it possible to be opened by the key?

BTW: The trunk lid can be opened by the lid release lever inside the car.

Reply to
cwting

It sounds to me like you're trying to open your trunk with the valet key. This is identical to a standard key but has two small cutouts at the tip. It's intentional to prevent a parking attendent from stealing out of the trunk. To complete the treatment, there's a physical toggle switch on the trunk latch assembly that prevents the lever by the driver's seat from opening the trunk, too.

When I bought my 2000 Sonata a few months ago, the seller only gave me one key -- the valet key. When I thought about it, I realized that with only this key, it was possible for me to lock myself out of the trunk if I flipped that toggle. In that event, the only way back into the trunk would be either with a blowtorch, or by ripping apart a rear seat back.

I quickly got myself to a Hyundai dealer who made me an original key on a computerized key cutter, from a digital pattern. At $12 each, I bought two of them.

A later discussion with a locksmith revealed that the crafty dude is able to make a "real" key from the valet key -- the locksmith can ascertain how to modify the profile in order to create a standard door/ignition key.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote: > cwting wrote: > > I can?t open my 2000 Hyundai Sonata?s trunk lid only with a > key. Do > > you know how to set the trunk lid to make it possible to be > opened by > > the key? > > > > BTW: The trunk lid can be opened by the lid release lever > inside the > > car. > > > > It sounds to me like you're trying to open your trunk with the > valet > key. This is identical to a standard key but has two small > cutouts at > the tip. It's intentional to prevent a parking attendent from > stealing > out of the trunk. To complete the treatment, there's a > physical toggle > switch on the trunk latch assembly that prevents the lever by > the > driver's seat from opening the trunk, too. > > When I bought my 2000 Sonata a few months ago, the seller only > gave me > one key -- the valet key. When I thought about it, I realized > that with > only this key, it was possible for me to lock myself out of > the trunk if > I flipped that toggle. In that event, the only way back into > the trunk > would be either with a blowtorch, or by ripping apart a rear > seat back. > > I quickly got myself to a Hyundai dealer who made me an > original key on > a computerized key cutter, from a digital pattern. At $12 > each, I bought > two of them. > > A later discussion with a locksmith revealed that the crafty > dude is > able to make a "real" key from the valet key -- the locksmith > can > ascertain how to modify the profile in order to create a > standard > door/ignition key. > > Richard

I cut a key from the Hyundai dealer today, it is the master key for my car, but it is still not work. Can I just reset someting in the car if I want to open the trunk by a key?

Reply to
cwting

Does the key turn the lock tumbler -- in other words, can you rotate the key in the lock or does it refuse to turn?

BTW: in the case of my own 2000 Sontat, I had a strange experience that was almost the opposite -- the cable release refused to open the latch for a day, and then came back to life. I could not determine what made it fail, no matter what I tried. This bothers me. Intermittant failures are the bane of everyone who fixes things.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld