Interesting trip to Hartford (Finally got to drive the Scion!)

After a crummy winter, the weather has been good enough to uncover the Scion and take it for a spin. Had a job in Hartford and decided I wanted to get there and back!

Filled up before I went, and did a 141 mile round trip. When I filled up again at home, my mileage was 31 MPG! And this was 70-75 on the way there and 75-80 on the way back.

Finally, the car is starting to act like a Toyota!

Also, the Mazda has been doing better since reconnecting the 5th gear switch, from 25-26 MPG to 29. Better!

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you're talking about a TC, I routinely get 30mpg in the city and the same on the highway (probably due to how short the gearing is).

Phil

Reply to
Phil

WHAT?!?!?!?!

This is the first time I have gotten past 27MPG overall!

Then again, I might have a bit more lead in my right foot than you! ;) (I *LOVE* the acceleration on this car!!! Even better than my hachiroku, and even my Supra!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I tend to keep the RPMs below 2.5k for regular city driving... when I wind it out though it shifts oh so nicely.

At first my Scangauge was reading 33mpg in the city but unfortunately it was reading too optimistic and I had to correct it when I was putting in more gas than the gauge was reading. It was off by about 10%.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

You go, girl! BTW, what did it cost to "reconnect" the 5th gear?

Price/gal. M.P.G. Cost/mile Miles/year Total $ Savings $3.299 29 $0.11376 15000 $1,706.38 $3.299 25 $0.13196 15000 $1,979.40 -$273.02 $3.299 26 $0.12688 15000 $1,903.27 -$196.89

Reply to
ah

No, no, no! It's a manual transmission. There are two switches on opposites sides of the tranny: one is the Reverse switch, and the other gets actuated when you put the car into 5th gear. NOBODY can tell me what the switch does. But since reconnecting it my economy has increased, as well as driveability in 5th gear.

It cost approx $0.10. I used two butt splices to put it back together.

And I'm a guy...

(OH, and an experiment. I took a male and female slide connector, and HARD WIRED the connection together...New Car! I have to keep an eye on the speedo, because it gets away from me if I'm not paying attention. I don't know what this connection does, no one can tell me, but after 1/2 tank I'll check the fuel economy again. All I know right now is the car runs balls to the wall!)

Reply to
Hachiroku