2005 Focus wagon

Been thinking of a new car for better fuel mileage, I had a New 2005 Focus wagon in mind with the standard trans, am I on the right track, I am after better fuel mileage, has anyone heard of the 2006's yet are they worth the wait. is the standard engine enough power with the standard trans. any opinions, is there any better choices for better fuel mileage.

thanks Chet

Reply to
chet

Better than what? Abrams tank or Kia Pride

Reply to
Andy Lee

Andy

Maybe I should mentioned more in details, I am after a midsize wagon with the most room and best fuel mileage, I presently have a 96 Cherokee and that rarly gets 18mpg and a my wife has a 2003 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3 V6 engine and that MIGHT break 20mpg. I am not into tanks yet!

Chet

Andy Lee wrote:

Reply to
chet

The Focus has decent fuel economy, similar to equivalent cars i.e. Elantra, Spectra, Corolla, Civic, Golf etc. 2006s will be the same as 2005s in that regard. Whether they have enough power depends on your tastes, they have plenty for me and about the same as these equivalent cars. You might want to consult the official mileage figures (if you're American, the EPA or sources like Edmunds etc.)

Reply to
Dave Gower

Look at the VW diesel cars. Both Golfs and Passats come with diesels. That should save at least a third of fuel. Focus also come with nice diesels -- in Europe. /per

"chet" skrev i meddelandet news:JkxMe.1899$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net...

Reply to
per

Hi Chet

I would suggest a Diesel Focus but you don't have those in the States yet do you? Mine gets around 48-50 miles per Imp Gallon. Performance is on a par with the 2.0l Zetec petrol engine that seems to average aroung 30mpg in the UK. From other peoples post it would appear that you should easily improve on the 18mpg you currently get. The Focus is a damn good car esp at the price

Reply to
Andy Lee

I've got the 2005 wagon with the 2 liter engine and automatic transmission, I normally drive one way to work which is 7.6 miles one way and with this town only driving I'm getting around 26 MPG so with the manual transmission you should get much better mileage, I've only checked in on a trip one time and at 65 to 75 mph I managed to get 31 MPG.

Reply to
Bill

I forgot to mention in my last post Chet that I replace a 92 Cherokee Sport with the Focus and the forcus has more room in the rear than the cherokee had.

Reply to
Bill

I'd say it's close enough, sure better torque at low revs for the diesel (tdci - 115 hp), but on high revs the petrol engine (2l -

131 hp) is superior. Overall, if insurance/etc isn't a strong point against the diesel and you drive enough, the diesel is for sure a more economic choice.

That's 13 l/100km (18mpg), hard to get out of the 2l engine,

21.8mpg was the worst I could get over nearly 50.000 km. About 26mpg (9 l/100km) is my average, this includes always some kilometers without speed limit around Vmax, where the car guzzles fuel.;( [..]
Reply to
Michael Heiming

I have a new 2005 Focus ZX4 with the 5-speed.. I have about 1500 miles I have averaged between 27 and 30mpg on the first 4 tanks of gas. Hope this helps.

Bill

Reply to
Bill S.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:06:06 GMT, "Bill S." wrote Re Re: 2005 Focus wagon:

I have the same model. Getting about 29 - 31 mpg with 85% of my driving on the highway at 50 - 65 mph.

Reply to
Vic Dura