Least Expensive cars to own

"Ray O" ...

EWWWWWWW
Like I'd know?!
Natalie

If you watch "Man Vs. Wild," "Survivorman," or "Bizarre Foods," you can learn how to take advantage of their natural crunch. ;-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

I can't even imagine how hungry I'd have to be to eat bugs.
Though, supposedly lobsters and king crabs are descendants of insects - I sure love those!
Natalie

<snipped>
When we take kids on wilderness trips, I always tell them that if they don't practice proper food protection, then they'll be eating bugs.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Mice are for beginners.
If you are really good you can get the cockroaches

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshows/advice/toptens/2007/least-expensive-to-own-all.html?partner=msnbc
I *knew* I'd chosen well. :-)
Cathy

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/most-expensive-to-own-2007.html?partner dc_ss_least_expensive_to_own_all
http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshows/advice/toptens/2007/worst-resale-value.html?partner dc_playlist

And it's kind of academic, anyway. The sort of people who buy the most expensive cars are not concerned about the cost of keeping them.
My brother-in-law is sales manager of a Lexus dealership in Calgary. He tells me very few buyers finance their purchases. Money is evidently not an issue with these purchasers.
--
Tegger

"Tegger" <...

Then you have the ones who really can't afford them, and end up living in it as well.
LOL
Natalie

Those idiots deserve what they get.
The take out leases with minimum down and giant buybacks. And even then they're looking at a monthly payment of $1000.
Such stupidity, just so they can look cool to their friends and neighbors.
--
Tegger

"Tegger" ..

Preaching to the choir here, toots.

Ego has ruined many a person.
Natalie
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:47:41 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

My idiot Congressman (who dosen't register in many polls, and apparently attracts flies) is on the Presidential primary path preaching bailouts of morons with stupid mortgages.
Remedial reading courses should be required for the idiots he's wanting to bail out.
It's awful when disasters, extreme personal circumstances, etc... cause people to lose homes, but I've got no sympathy for the idiots who took negative am, "option" ARM, and the other silly loans.
I am halfway with you. If there is evidence that the mortgage broker enhanced the application form I might give the homeowner a break assuming it wasn't an investment property.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:23:52 -0400, "Art"

I totally agree! Fraud is a different matter.
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" ... "Art" wrote:

But still, if you know your credit is shaky, yet you seem to be getting this great deal, shouldn't you think caveat emptor?
Natalie
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:55:41 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

Yes. I believe what Art is talking about are the brokers who lied and fraudulently pushed though a loan, while the applicants honest information would have been rejected.
Many times, the applicants had to know the broker was "enhancing" things. Often, many of the great deals didn't add up in simple math, and it was clear as day that the payment would greatly increase. Those folks, with the "We can just re-fi when the payment increases!" and "Real estate ALWAYS goes up!" mentalities are the ones who I have little sympathy for.
I have a 20+ year acquaintance who was quite high up in a sub-prime lender who folded and laid off 1800 at the end of 2006. For years she's been sharing stories of some of the crap brokers would pull to get a shaky loan through. In some cases, but probably a small percentage, disclosure sheets were never provided, pages were removed from documentation, etc...
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" "Wickeddoll" wrote:

Ah...
Good gawd, anyone who has watched the marked over the last 10 years should know better than that!

My son (very briefly) tried to work for some fly-by-night broker that has since gone belly up. A friend of ours is a broker of another company, and is trying to talk my son into joining his group, but of course, my son is quite reluctant...
Natalie
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" "Wickeddoll"

You'd think that the phrase, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" would have taken root by now. Sadly, no.
Natalie
Tegger wrote:

How do they discount cars that occasionally need to be moved?
High-end products are rarely to never discounted, as the value of the brand is protected.
For instance, plenty of individually owned high-end BMW's are initially leased, and not for the reasons you'd think. BMW hides the cash and discounts in factory sweetened leases, at the end of which owners may or may not buy the car for cash. These are not bank leases, but directly from BMW.
Similar ideas are used to help sell things like private aircraft, luxury real-estate, etc... that aren't moving as well as the seller wants. Stated prices are NOT lowered, and the item doesn't go "on sale."
Leases of high-end products have to be good enough for the buyers to capitalize on the opportunity cost of the money and see an overall advantage in the big picture, vs. the reasons financing deals are sold on lower-end products. It's also not uncommon in the business world to "carry paper" to help sell something.

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I'll have to ask next time I talk to him.
He tells me there is no negotiation on price. What is quoted is what is paid, and nobody dickers. I suppose when you're that high up the food chain, the cost of a motor vehicle is chump change.
They have a used car (sorry, "pre-owned") department too. It has a mix of Lexuses, Toyotas and a few other makes.

Yeah, that's what has me curious now. They must eventually wind up with unsold stock at some point.

Not from a BMW-owned finance company?
Toyota has an independent but wholly owned company called "Toyota Motor Credit Corporation" (TMCC), which handles leases and loans for Toyota and Lexus.

You've mentioned lots of stuff I never thought of. I've printed this off and will ask next time I talk to him.
Thanks.
--
Tegger

Only to people who don't have it.
Trust me, wealthy people, maybe with the exception of some entertainer-types or lottery winners who came into money easily, actually do look at the price. The "dickering" on high end items usually involves the level of service and after sale commitment that goes with the stated price, creating a value. If the value isn't there, there's no deal.
It's not about specific price, but perceived value.

Exactly, _the_ BMW finance company.

There you go.