LED map light

I've been searching around on Google and found out that these are called map lights, that plug into the cigarette lighter outlet, but the most number of LED's I've seen in one is 6 and I'm not sure that would be anywhere near as bright as an incandescent bulb for reading and writing in the car at night.

But of course LED's have the advantage of not burning out the filament from cold or vibration.

Have any of you found them with more than 6 LED's or perhaps with the high powered LED's in them?

Reply to
Mama Bear

I think it was Mama Bear who stated:

Petzl Tikka makes one with only 3 LEDs and it's BRIGHT! I have it in my xB as a map light . . . .

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

Looks like they only make head lamps, not map lights for the cigarette lighter.

Reply to
Mama Bear

Datapoint: my ticket was once upgraded to First Class on a Virgin Atlantic flight. (Not worth the extra small hill of money those folks have to shell out, IMHO.) Each of seat in FC had a reading light on a goose-neck stalk. IIRC, each light had 6 LEDs and was fully bright enough for the job.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I light airplane cockpits with ONE red, blue, or green LED, or flood it with THREE, from one of these:

The single colored LEDs are so bright, I have masking tape over them to dim them. The white is incredibly bright.

I think it's more about the quality of the LED than the number. Unfortunately, many people think of LED light as what comes from indicators on stereo gear, computer lights, etc...

Reply to
Bonehenge

No, I understand exactly what you're saying. There are new LED's out, like the Luxeon, that are way brighter with 1, than 5 of the others are. Depends on the power they use and lumens they put out.

I'd probably be fine with a map light that uses 2-3 Luxeon white LED's but don't think anyone makes one.

Reply to
Mama Bear