Matrix rear seat problem

Hello; I recently purchased a used 2003 Matrix XRS. When I folded down the passenger side rear seat I noticed that the hard plastic "cover" on the back of the seat (that extends the floor of the cargo area once folded down) is bent/cracked on the lower inside corner. On further inspection I determined that the edge of the plastic seat back hangs up on a bracket between the seats when you try to push the seat back to the upright position. This is what caused the bend/crack in the plastic. I was able to remove the seat back and get it close to it's original configuration with a heat gun, but the problem was not solved. I do not know if the bracket position is off just enough to cause the problem or if the tolerence is so tight that the slight bend that still exists in the seat back (after my attempt at repair) will prevent it from ever working correctly. Has anyone had a similar experience or have some advice about this problem? Unfortunately I did not notice the problem before I took the car home from the dealer, and now they want nothing to do with the issue. Thanks for any help/advice. Barry

Reply to
Barrywin

Did you say XRS? With a Manual Tranny? If so there is NO way to repair it, and I would suggest just scrapping the car. Now, No Charge To You, I will relieve you of this klunker and you can go get one with a seat the works!

Hey, anything I can do to be of assistance! ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

I checked my Matrix for this issue. While there is a very close fit between the plastic and the metal bracket, there is no problem with the plastic hanging on mine. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the seat was over stressed one way or the other, bending the bracket, warping the seat or deforming the plastic. Perhaps there was something caught behind the seat when it was forced down or up at some point.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Barrywin

That's really disturbing... you would think from this message board that all Toyotas are perfect, I guess perfection comes in various flavors ;-)

Reply to
Mark