Motor Trend names Camry Car of the Year

No Fords in the running?

How could that be?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

To be in the running for that award the vehicle must be all new. Ford does not have any all new model that were intruded by the start of the evaluation. Ford all new models are Crossovers, not cars, in any event.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My first new car was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner. It was MT's car of the year. I still have the service manual and the MT issue. It was a great car, Black vinyl top with red body, 383 cid, dual exhaust black vinyl seats, (hot as hell in the summer) and 14 MPG MAX. The picture of my RR is on the cover of that MT issue, well, it's not THE one, but a exact copy.

BTW, 69 was a great year, LOL.

Reply to
dbu'

No new cars, that's a problem too.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

I read in the paper today that a prominent local leader had died at 69. Who knew you could die from that LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So what. It is worthwhile to remember that the Chevrolet Vega was "Car of the Year" in 1970 (or was it 1971?). Car of the Year usually goes to the manufacturer who promises to place the most ads.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Perhaps, however the roadrunner was a very good car, I don't know how well the body took the salt, but it sure ran nice and handled good for a

1969 vintage vehicle. We didn't care much about fuel mileage in those days. The vehicles today run much better and are peppier, no carburators and get far better gas mileage.

The Vega was an attempt at small car and better gas mileage. I think we can say GM was at least pointed in the right direction, the public did not accept small cars or were worried about gas mileage in 1969. We should have been. Ford also had those same intentions, but again, the public was not worried because fuel at the pump was still a few pennies for a gallon.

Reply to
dbu'

The Vega was another GM disaster. We got one as a loaner when our car was in the shop, and it was rough, noisy and you felt degraded to ride in the thing. I just recalled that another of Motor Trend's car of the year was the first edition of the Chevy Malibu a few years ago. And we all know what a terrific car that is. I think I could get MT to judge a Citroen 2CV car of the year if I paid them enough.

Reply to
mack

1960 Corvair Is Named Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" also a list of other winners..
Moe

I think MT looks at innovative designs also, the two GM models you have mentioned were innovative for their time.

Reply to
dbu'

I could be wrong, but wasn't the Ford Taurus a past winner when it first came out?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

"C. E. White" wrote in message news:Cg69h.2941$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

The official list, courtesy of Wikipedia.

2006 Honda Civic 2005 Chrysler 300C 2004 Toyota Prius 2003 Infiniti G35 2002 Ford Thunderbird 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2000 Lincoln LS 1999 Chrysler 300M 1998 Chevrolet Corvette 1997 Chevrolet Malibu 1996 Dodge Caravan 1995 Chrysler Cirrus 1994 Ford Mustang 1993 Ford Probe GT 1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ 1990 Lincoln Town Car 1989 Ford Thunderbird SC 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 1986 Ford Taurus LX 1985 Volkswagen GTI 1984 Chevrolet Corvette 1983 AMC / Renault Alliance 1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries / Plymouth Reliant 1980 Chevrolet Citation 1979 Buick Riviera S 1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon 1977 Chevrolet Caprice 1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare 1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 1974 Ford Mustang II 1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1972 Citroën SM 1971 Chevrolet Vega 1970 Ford Torino 1969 Plymouth Road Runner 1968 Pontiac GTO 1967 Mercury Cougar 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado 1965 Pontiac Motor Division 1964 Ford Motor Company (Not for the Mustang) 1963 American MotorsRambler 1962 Buick Special 1961 Pontiac Tempest 1960 Chevrolet Corvair 1959 Pontiac Motor Division 1958 Ford Thunderbird 1957 Chrysler Corporation 1956 Ford Motor Company 1955 Chevrolet Motor Division 1954 No award 1953 No award 1952 Cadillac Motor Division 1951 Chrysler Corporation 1950 No award 1949 Cadillac Motor Division

[edit] Import Car of the Year After the 1999 model year, Import Car of the Year became one and the same with Car of the Year.

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle 1998 Lexus GS 1997 BMW 5-Series 1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 1995 Nissan Maxima 1994 Honda Accord 1993 Mazda RX-7 1992 Lexus SC 400 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 1989 Mitsubishi Galant GS 1988 Honda CRX Si 1987 Acura Legend Coupe 1986 Mazda RX-7 1985 Toyota MR2 1984 Honda Civic CRX 1983 Mazda 626 1982 Toyota Celica Supra 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD 1980 Honda Civic 1979 Datsun 280ZX 1978 Toyota Celica 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280E 1976 Toyota Celica Liftback 1970 Porsche 914 There are more than a few bowsers in there. My brother used to own a 79 Datsun 280ZX.

Note there's no Corollas on the list.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr
1978 Dodge Omni. Now that was a head turner.

Reply to
Art

They sold well, were small and easy on gas. I had one of the sporty models with a manual tranny. It went thru two clutches and still shuttered. Dodge boys never could figure out the problem. I got rid of it at around 75 k miles. I had two more Dodges after that one before finally getting my senses and going with Toyota. The Toyotas have been trouble free.

Reply to
dbu'

Ah yes the 2000 Lincoln LS. I bought a V8 LS in July of 1999. I was replacing my 97 Lexus LS V8 and the Lexus dealer was trying to sell me a

1999, the 2000 was not out, at a price $4,000 over MSRP and offering me $2,000 less than wholesale for my car.

After six Lexus LS V8s, I guess he thought he has me for life. After reading MT comparison between the new RWD Lincoln, I took one for a drive. The dealer gave me such a great price, that after I sold my Lexus to a friend, I saved a total for $25,000. That was nearly enough to drive home the Mustang GT convertible I bought at the same time.

I subsequently purchased a 2001, 2003, and a 2005 LSs from the FLM dealership, just down the street for the Lexus dealership, as well as a

2001, 2003, 2005, and 2007 Mustang GT convertibles. I bought a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr and kept the 05 to use when I'm in Key West. I will add it to my stable of old cars eventually. They were great cars, as good as any Lexus I ever owned and at 20K less to drive home. Too bad they stopped making them, I would have purchased another. Lexus lost a customer and eight sales so far, because of a stupid dealer. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The driver? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No I was not slipping the clutch nor did I pump the clutch at stop lights to keep from rolling backwards. The darn thing would shudder almost everytime I started out in first. I tried my darndest but I think there was something out of round in it or wasn't flat. Anyway, twenty six years ago. Yikes, I was only a kid at 38.

Reply to
dbu'

Toyota had problems with shuttering clutches in 83 in their Tercels.

Reply to
Art

Did they ever publish the cause? I never got mine fixed, the Dodge boys couldn't figure it out, LOL. I traded it in for another Dodge.....weird.

Reply to
dbu'