My T almost left me stranded

Went to Home Depot & parked in a perfectly level parking lot. When I returned - the ignition key would not turn in the ignition to start - as if the wrong key. Checked the shifter and emergency brakes - including open doors and finally after about five min. of struggling I turned the steering wheel slightly - and all was well. The key finally worked.

I have had this sort of thing occur with gear shifters in hilly areas but never a key?? The manual had nothing on the subject that I could find. I have no alarm system. Are there any other 'traps' like this one should be aware of? j

Reply to
joe

That's the steering wheel lock. Perfectly normal.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

This condition will occur if you pull on the steering wheel after you have locked the ignition. If the key is difficult to turn, relieve the tension on the steering wheel when turning the ignition key.

Reply to
Ray O

Yep, I've had that happen on every Toyota I've ever owned from '72 to '95.

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

Thanks - glad I asked what appeared to me to be a stupid question. I guess I like to have the wheel low and use it for leverage in getting in or out. All 160 lbs of me.

joe

Using the steering wheel for leverage will result in the locking mechanism engaging!

Reply to
Ray O

Next time you park with the wheel pulled to the left or right, let go of the wheel BEFORE you turn off the key, WBMA ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter