Mythbusters and Truck Drag

According to Mythbusters (which I am currently watching)...

They tested Big Rig Drag as myth or fact...

At

100 feet behind a big rig they said they had a 10 percent improvment in mileage... at 50 feet...

I can only say that it is also fact that it is completely stupid to do such a thing.

The following is from mythbusterresults.com/episode79

Drafting behind a big rig will improve your car's fuel efficiency.

confirmed

To test this myth, the build team procured a car, a big rig, and a device that could measure a car's fuel efficiency. They then drove the car behind a moving big rig at various distances ranging from 100 to 2 feet and measured the amount of fuel the car consumed. The Build Team discovered that the closer the car was to the big rig, the less drag is produced, thus the more fuel saved. At just ten feet, the car managed to increase its fuel efficiency by 40%. Drafting at two feet was slightly lower than the ten foot distance, mainly because Grant had to keep working the car pedal to maintain distance from the truck. However, that did not dispute the fact that drafting actually can increase your car's fuel efficiency. However, the Build Team has warned that drafting is incredibly dangerous because the truck driver may not able to see you and you may not be able to react in time if the truck were to make a sudden stop.

Reply to
Go Mavz

The best part was the Knight Rider Ramp Drive Up...

Reply to
Go Mavz

Drafting behind a big truck will also reduce the number of bugs on the windshield :-)

Reply to
Ray O

I just made a swinging hook and attached it to the front of my Corolla

1200, and then would get behind an 18 wheeler, drop the hook onto that crossbar they have in the rear, and shut the engine off. Fuel economy increased infinitely...
Reply to
Hachiroku

especially when it knife jacked

Reply to
Go Mavz

knife jacked?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

i think i meant to use jack knifed... but oh well? i was drunk... yay

Reply to
Go Mavz

True, Ray, but if that truck just taps his airbrakes, you might find your face plastered on the inside of your windshield! I've seen too many pictures of trailers laid over on top of a car to want to be anywhere near a semi on the road. and that goes for cars wedged underneath the rear end of the trailers, too. I give 'em a wiiiiiiide berth.

Reply to
mack

Not to speak of the cracked windshields these menaces cause.

I want them waaaaay to the side or rear.

Reply to
witfal

Very true. I should have pointed out that I am not advocating that anyone draft another vehicle on public roads; I am merely pointing out that in addition to improving fuel efficiency, drafting reduces the number of bugs on the windshield.

Reply to
Ray O

You were drunk at EIGHT O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING?!?!?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes sir. I work in the medical field and my hours are much different than the average joe. My wife and I AND A FRIEND celebrated July 4th all morning after I was released from work. I just woke up. Okay with you? LOL!

Reply to
Go Mavz

Oh. OK. My Stepfather used to work in a paper mill. Same deal. Every week he was on a different shift, and there was a bar that would open at 7 for the guys getting off the night shift.

*I* thought you had been up ALL NIGHT 'celebrating' the 4th!!!
Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, I work 3 - 12 hour weeks and so I fell in line for July 4th.

I think when you get in the medical field, you just get use to crazy hours.

Reply to
Go Mavz

My Mom was an RN for 40+ years...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm with you. I do my 36 hour work week over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

Truckdude, RN

Reply to
Truckdude