Noisy engine starting in the morning

My 2000 corolla with 100.000 miles is very noisy starting up in the morning.After a few minutes it quiets down and is very smooth after that.I tought it needed a valve adjustment,but according to the dealer there is no such adjustment on that model. Any ideas?

Reply to
andre

There's always a valve adjustment. They do it by removing the cam covers and shimming it. It's not cheap...

But, I think the problem is more oil related. Where are you located? Is it cold in the morning?

What you're hearing is the camshafts clacking against the valve shims (My best guess, that is...) as the oil wamrs and starts to flow better, the noise goes away.

Make sure your oil is full. What I do to help alleviate this is, when I do an oil change, I put in 3.5 quarts of regular oil, and one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. The MMO helps the regular oil flow better when cold, so the noise isn't quite so bad.

Actually, consider yourself lucky! A lot of dealers would have said, SURE! We can adjust the valves, and then charged you $300 for it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I believe that vintage Corolla is known for noisy startups. Make sure you are using the correct oil grade and viscosity to improve oil flow at startup.

Reply to
Ray O