Hard starting 560SEC

My 560SEC has stopped on the road and refused to start or refused to start after being parked for a few minutes. I always keep my foot off the gas pedal when starting as per instructions for late model American cars. Reading the Mercedes owners manual, I learned that the instuctions for starting a hot engine suggest slowly depressing the gas pedal when starting if it does not start easily. I tried letting the car idle for 20 minutes or so until it was good and hot and was successful at starting by depressing the gas pedal. The idle is rough, though, when the engine is hot. Would this be the "idle control valve"? The nearest Mercedes dealer is many miles from my home. I would love to find an expert Mercedes mechanic in the Northern Anne Arundel County, Maryland area.

Reply to
Bill Bunn

That's definitely your accumulator bad... causing internal fuel pressure leak and thus vapor lock. It is located above the fuel pump and one side got a rubber hose on a 90 degree bend pipe... pull the rubber hose off... if fuel keeps dripping out of the metal pipe, then it is definitely bad.

Other possibility is compensator valve in the fuel distributor is bad... it is a oriing that goes bad... easily fixed... it is located on the top of fuel distributor... a large hex nut or a torx nut... once removed, there is a little piston thing inside... remove that and you will see the oring on the piston. Replace the oring and replace the gasket on the bolt.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info, Tiger. I will try these things and let you know the reult.

Reply to
Bill Bunn