OBD 11

I have a 1996 Toyota corolla seca does anyone know where the obd 11 port is and its not below the steering column its an Aussie one

Reply to
Kiwi John
1996 is the change over year, and in some markets the OBD II might not be applied.

On LHD cars sent to the USA, the port is on the bottom edge of the dash board in the area of the left foot. This would put it between the left side of the car and the steering column. I am not sure if RHD cars get the port in the same location, or in the mirror of this location. If you actually have the port, it will look similar the connector on the back of a printer, except the one in your car won't have as many pins. The printer connector (on the printer, not the one on the computer) will have 40 pins, the data port on your car will have - I think - 15 pins. Except for the number of pins, the connectors look nearly identical.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's a North American requirement - but Toyota builds many different versions of their cars for different regions. If you are in Australia, and the car is carbureted with conventional electronic ignition (hopefully they've dumped the points everywhere), you do not have an Electronic Fuel Injection system - no computer, so no diagnostic port. ;-)

When they decide the air is getting too crunchy under there, they'll start requiring emissions controls and you'll get to deal with OBD-II. Be glad we got to do the debugging for you.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

cant find a D plug there they do have the diagnostic port under the bonnet but its not obd 11

Reply to
Kiwi John

IF your car is truely OBD II (not OBD 11), then it must have the connector along the underside of the dash board. In the USA, the connector is near the left leg of the driver, on a RHD car, then logic says it could be near the right leg of the driver. Having never driven a RHD car, am I correct in assuming the pedal arrangement is the same, left foot for the clutch, and right foot for the gas and brake, or are the pedals a mirror of the arrangement we get?

In any case, the OBD II specification says that there must be a data port inside the car, and it must be along the bottom edge of the dash board. I seem to recall that the location of the data port might be different for LHD and RHD cars, but the spec is clear that the port has to be there. If you can't find the port, then you haven't got an OBD II compliant car. Since

1996 was the cut-in year, it is easy to see where the cut-in will happen at different times in different parts of the world.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

Go away, advertising troll.

The Original Poster is in Australia, and the rules are quite different under there - he's never come back to say whether he has EFI or a carburetor, if the car has a carby he likely doesn't have a computer at all.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

This is true, but the OP is in Australia. We, I, don't know the specs down there. The OP reports that the data port is not under the dash, but the data port is one of the main specs of the OBD II specification. I surmise that since his car is the cut-in year for the USA, then perhaps it is not an OBD II car for another part of the world.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

i have EFI and i have the diagnostic port by the strut under the bonnet does any one know the hook up to a serial cable so i can use software

Reply to
Kiwi John