OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

LOL....so true!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

BWahahaha!

Send this to Al, would ya?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just because you have "always done something" doesn't make it right. You've just gotten away with it in the past. Perhaps it is biting you in the ass this time around.

You have NOT had "no problems".....just none that your inexperience has ever detected.

You asked for advice.

I gave you advice based on 40 years' experience.

You choose to ignore it - which is your prerogative.

But, not only do you choose to ignore it, you choose to argue about it.

Have a nice day!!.......................asshole!

Reply to
*

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote in article ...

I suspect you are in for a truly rude awakening some day.

What you learn AFTER you know it all is what REALLY matters.........

Reply to
*

Someone needs to ban this guy ("*"), all he does is go around making rude comments and namecalling.

It's incredible how his opinion is the only one that is valid in any situation.

Reply to
callmehero

Heavens! Call the owner of Usenet!

Reply to
B A R R Y

First, this is an unmoderated newsgroup. You have to be a big boy here an deal with others instead of just banning the ones you don't agree with.

Secondly, he is 100% correct on this situation. The fact that you have been blinded to the truth doesn't make it any less truthful.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

That didn't tell me a whole lot. I was looking for insight, not come-uppance...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Always is 30 years.

Hmmmm...one set of 'overinflated' tires with 125,000 miles on them... Another with 85,000 miles... Another with 65,000 miles... And another with 90,000 miles...

Anything froom Goodyears to Bridgestone to Delta.

I think the problem was really getting the cheapest tire I could.

I've been farting around with tires for 30 years, and using different sizes for different effects for 20.

I make sure they fit the rims correctly. I try to make sure they're within a certain percentage of OEM spec. I onspect them myself weekly, I look at them before I start the car every day, and I have them looked at 'professionally' every three months.

The tire company I got to is top notch. If they wouldn't work on this car, Chick would have not put them on.

I'm not 'arguing' about anything. Only someone who is overly aggressive and too 'self-aware' would see it as anything else. Generally agumentative himself.

And my point is proven. Looking in the mirror again, hmmm...?

Oh, say hello to my little PLONK file. Non-comments aren't welcome.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Actually were you paying attention, that told you a LOT!

It is rapidly becoming apparent that there's not a lot of sense in telling you anything.....or giving you conventional automotive advice.

You've already been given some great advice by a number of different posters, and you refuse to accept it.

You are not looking for insight, as you claim.

You are, actually, seeking validation of your unconventional and off-the-wall ideas - such as running tires at maximum load inflations - which doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

Some people tire quickly of giving honest advice, only to have it summarily rejected.....explaining why you are receiving so little "insight" now.

You were given "insight" and you rejected it. The people who offered advice have moved on to other areas where they won't be insulted for offering honest advice.

Personally, I suspect you are simply playing some sort of trolling game to pass the time instead of getting actively involved in hands-on automotive service and repair.........

Reply to
*

Yup. But I'm more intersted in the tire size on this car than tire inflation. I sometimes carry heavy loads with this car, and would rather just leave the tires close to max pressure than filling/deflating/filling/deflating etc. Like I said, I've been doing it a long time with no ill effects.

I don't 'summarily reject' anything. I take everything into account. I am going to let a few pounds out and see if it makes a difference once I get a free minute...

Reply to
Hachiroku

And you're telling me you're an 'expert?!?!?!

Toyo Proxes T1r

195/45R14 15Lbs. 280 Treadwear MP V Rated Tread Depth 10 Rim Width (Min/Max) 6 - 7.5 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Toyo Proxes Tpt

185/60R14 16Lbs. Rim Width (Min/Max) 5 - 6.5 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you tried to put the first tire on the rim meant for the second tire, the sidewall would blowout. A real recipe for disaster.

If you don't know this, then NO WAY are you telling me what to do with my tires!!!

So, on my Corolla with OEM rims of 5.5", I had to take a set of wheels off my Celica (6.5") to run the hi-poi 195/45-14s or run the risk of the sidewall flexing too much and blowing the tire off the rim...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope. They would both fit on the 6.5" rims you have. And the only real problem with running them on the 5.5 would be tread wear due to the narrow rim.. However I wouldn't want to run the 185/60 on the wider rim. No sidewall protection and you would probably have problems with the bead staying seated as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

In spite of all your horse schidt, here is one undeniable fact......

A tire supporting a 500 pound load will have a footprint of 20 square-inches at an inflation pressure of 25 p.s.i. and a footprint of 12.5 square-inches at 40 p.s.i. inflation. That's simple high school math and physics.

The ONLY differences between the footprints of a "narrow" tire versus a "wide" tire is the SHAPE of the footprint. They BOTH require the same-sized footprint to support the same load at the same inflation pressures.

With the 20 square-inch example, a ten-inch-wide tread will have a footprint that is ten-inches wide by two-inches long while a five-inch tread would have a footprint that is five-inches wide by four-inches long.

With 25 pounds of air pressure, you need 20 square-inches to support 500 pounds.....one way or another.

By running your tires at maximum inflation, you are running the car at 62.5 percent of the tire footprint that the car manufacturer has designed the suspension to work with.

Reply to
*

Undeniable fact?? Usually the stuff you put out is more or less correct (bravado and SOB-ness not withstanding), but I need to see a legit reference for this one.

Reply to
E Meyer

I also want to see what's Horse Schidt about a manufacturer's recommendation for rim widths.

I'll take their word first...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Depends which system I'm using...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Huh? Talk about splitting RCH's...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I can switch to that system, if you'd like...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not what Bridgestone said. I'll take their word...

Reply to
Hachiroku