Oil Filter Wrenches

Very frustrating day. All I want to do is change my oil/filter in my new 2007 Matrix. 65mm filter wrench is slightly to large. Won't remove the filter. Can't find anything smaller [63?]. Anyone know of a filter wrench that works on the OEM toyota filter without spending an arm and a leg?. Once off, I can switch to a Fram which uses a 65 mm wrench.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I think it was "Ron" who stated:

Strap wrench. Or won't that fit on your Matrix? I've used a strap wrench on most cars I've owned, but it won't fit on BMW motorcycles, either mine or my wife's . . . .

BAD idea. Fram makes crap oil filters. Use Toyota or Purolator.

-D

-- The things that come to those that wait are the things left by those who got there first

Reply to
Don Fearn

I agree with Don, don't use Fram, based on reviews I've seen. Strap wrench works well. My advice is to make sure you get strap as high or low as you can. I've collapsed tight filters by trying to loosen them near the middle.

Other Ron (California one)

Reply to
Ron

Not necessarily. Fram makes 4 different filter models that range in price from $3 to $10. The cheapest Fram filter is not very good, but the $10 one is excellent.

Reply to
James

I use a universal oil filter wrench that fits most oil filter sizes. Your local Toyota dealer may sell a cap-type oil filter wrench that fits OEM filters. Sears and some auto parts stores sell oil filter wrenches with 3 prongs that squeeze the oil filter body as the oil filter is used. All of these filter wrenches attach to a 3/8" drive handle.

The oil filter installed at the factory tends to be a little difficult to remove. Replacement Toyota oil filters have a coating of grease on the O-ring to make the filter easier to remove and to keep the oil filter from sticking to the mating surface.

Many people change oil without knowing the proper procedure for changing the oil filters so don't be offended if you already know this stuff. If you use an aftermarket oil filter that does not have a coating on the O-ring, use your finger to rub a light coating of clean motor oil on the O-ring before installing it. This will prevent the O-ring from bunching up as it is tightened and make the filter easier to remove later. Also, do not overtighten the oil filter when installing it, and never use a wrench to tighten the oil filter. I wipe my hands clean but do not wash the oil off so that the oil on my hands serves as a safety to prevent over-tightening.

Reply to
Ray O

I think it was "James" who stated:

You're going to trust a company that makes CRAP? I didn't know that the ten-buck Fram filter is "excellent" (Where did that idea come from? I've never heard it.) but even if it is, Fram has been noted for making CRAP (Honda motorcycle oil filters that self-destructed and burned up the engines) so I won't buy them anymore. Purolator and Toyota both have GOOD reputations, so I spend my bux there.

-Don (praise the good companies with money)

-- The things that come to those that wait are the things left by those who got there first

Reply to
Don Fearn

It is not a question of trust. The Fram Extra Guard ($10 at discount stores) is an excellent filter. If you put a $3 oil filter on your vehicle, then you will get what you paid for. Personally I use the Mobil 1 filter when I can find one, but I have used the Fram Extra Guard on occasion.

Don't try and compare a Toyota Yaris with a Lexus LS 460 L, even though they are made by the same company.

Reply to
James

I think it was "James" who stated:

But it IS. Fram makes crap filters; I don't trust them.

Then why does it appear on a list of filters to AVOID?

In fact, the FIRST on the list!

I would GLADLY compare a Yaris with a Lexus. Both are excellent cars made by a company with a good reputation. I would trust either one to deliver a high-quality product and many thousands of miles of reliable performance . . . .

But I wouldn't put a crappy Fram filter in either one; I'd suggest the Fram would be good for . . . a Yugo, maybe.

-D

-- The things that come to those that wait are the things left by those who got there first

Reply to
Don Fearn

I have one of these also. It is the best oil filter I have ever had and if it ever got lost I would be very sad.

Reply to
badgolferman

My mistake. The $3 filter is the Extra Guard which should be avoided. The $10 filter is X2 Extended Guard.

By the way, Wal-Mart charges $10 for the X2, but some others charge as much as $17.

Reply to
James

Even though that type of oil filter wrench has a pivot and springs, mine will never rust because it gets a thorough but unintended immersion in used motor oil about every 2nd or 3rd oil change. :-)

Reply to
Ray O

In the US those orange Fram Extra Guards cost only $3-4 apiece, while the white Tough Guards (synthetic filter media) are about twice as much

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I'm glad you found a wrench that works, but in case you ever come across a filter with no room around it for a strap wrench, there's a funny 3-jaw wrench that goes over the end of the filter and automatically adjusts to the size. I saw one at AutoZone. However I don't think it can be used for tightening filters.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I think the one with the synthetic media is the X2 Extended Guard. The Tough Guard is an intermediate quality filter, better than the orange Extra Guard, but not as good as the Extended Guard.

Reply to
Mark A

That's the perfect oil wrench and I would never buy a different kind. But I don't think you're supposed to tighten filters down with anything other than your hand.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hey, Ray, this is a great idea. Sort of a poor man's torque wrench! jor

Reply to
jor

When I changed the oil on my SO's RAV4 the first time, the filter was so tight, the cap wrench would skip past the flats on the filter. I got around the problem by wrapping a couple of layers of duct tape on the fitler. This added enough material to make the filter fit my wrench tightly and I was able to get the filter off. The wrench worked Ok for putting the filter back on. I will have the duct tape handy when I need to remove the filter at the next oil change just in case.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

There are pictures of cut open filters at

Most of these are FL-820S equivalents, but there are a couple ofToyota filters at
.

Reply to
Ed White

Ray O wrote: never use a wrench to

============= My Cmary fitler calls for tightening 3/4 turn after contact. I use a filter wrench for loosening and tightening with a painted white line added to measure degree of rotation. Using Purolator filters now because I like the base gasket and the Thailand manufactured Toyota filter mysteriously allowed tiny amber colored bits to appear floating on the surface of the oil - excess glue from the end cap? Don't know, but they went away when I changed to Purolator, and I never had them with the US manufactured Toytota oil filter either. The Purolator filters tighten and loosen smoothly and easily, although I do use the wrench to tighten the 3/4 turn. Perhaps hand tightening would achieve the same effect, just never tried it that way.

Reply to
nospampls2002

You should never use an oil filter wrench to tighten filters because over-tightening may crush the gasket, causing leaks, and make the filter very difficult to remove.

Reply to
Ray O