Oil Filter

Someone on a Camry site asked about the quality of different oil filters. I thought that it would benefit all to see these studies.

These studies will amaze you.....

Here is another condensed version of another test from a different source.

TOYOTA was rated INFERIOR, So, its NOT true that you get what you pay for.

Another Test here

Rich

Reply to
CamryMan

Unfortunately, these studies you quote are 5-10 years old (except for the last link), and I would not put too much faith in the them anymore for picking a specific product. The last study (see link above) gives the following recommendations:

Oil filter Recommendations for the Honda Prelude (should apply to other vehicles also, but the author only looked at filters available for this vehicle):

  1. "The Mobil 1 oil filter is well constructed and a decent filter. Unfortunately, I'm not been able to get my hands on a stock spec'ed Mobil 1 filter (but have taken apart a few oversized ones). However, I have been able to discern that it's made on the same line as the K&N filter, but will a media that is slightly better at filtration. Based on testing by others I still think this is a really good filter.
  2. The AMSOIL SDF-20 filter is well constructed and lab tests show that it's an excellent filter. At 6350 miles this filter was able to generate the above lab test report and show that 10w40 oil in an H22A4 causes no problems. On the other hand, it's big brother the SDF-44 did not filter oil well at 13,000 miles. Proving that an oversized filter is not always a good thing when it comes to filtration.
  3. The K&N HP-1004 is a great filter. The internal construction is the same as the Mobil 1 filter, but it does not filter the down to as small a particle size. This filter is meant to maintain higher flow while still actively filtering, as opposed to by-passing. Lab tests using Mobil 1 at
7500 miles indicates that this filter works as well as the AMSOIL SDF-20.

  1. The FRAM x2 (and only the FRAM x2 Series) is probably the most heavily constructed filter I've seen so far. Though all of the Japanese made filters were of exceptional quality, the Fram x2 was as good in every way. Of note with the construction were the following features: metal screen backing the media, heavy metal end caps (all other Fram filters have cardboard), and 2 layer filter medium. Lab testing indicates this filter is fine at 5000 miles use with Mobil 1. As with all of the Fram filters and OEM Honda oil filters the x2 uses the standard spring loaded plastic by-pass valve that many people do not like. However, lab tests do not indicate that the valve jams or fails to work. It's possible that a hard enough impact at a sharp angle while the filter was by-passing might cause it to jam open, but I suspect the fluid within the filter would prevent this."

Reply to
Mark A

Is it likely that Toyota would try to save a few cents/unit on oil filter quality when weighing that against the potential cost of having engines fail?

I doubt it

Ron

Reply to
ron

Every time Consumer Reports has rated Toyota filters, they have said Toyota Owners have it made. They are the best filters you can get. So, I don't know what report you read (yet...I'll look later) but take a look at the display in a Toyota parts dept. They look good to me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

These are interesting links. Toyota engines are more family oriented than racing oriented so there is less discussion on it. People should do more filter studies.

Purolator does make some of toyota's filters but the bulk comes from south Asia. The cost is low and probably explains the inferior filtration rating. I use Purolator PureOne with a multipass efficiency of 98%

The only other filter with a better efficiency rating AND flow rate are Champion Lab filters (marketed under GM AC-Delco Gold, Platinum or something like that). Other filters I have not seen any writing about being better than PureOne.

If you can get a Toyota filter made by Purolator it's ok, then you might as well get a Pure> Someone on a Camry site asked about the quality of different oil filters. I

Reply to
johngdole

I'm pretty sure those "studies" were done by an Amsoil connected person.

I use Toyota filters on my Toyota, because they're $3 at my local dealer, including a plug gasket. On my other vehicles, I use Purolator filters that cost $7-8. The Toyota filters are built as good or better than the retail store brands, and even come with the gasket pre-lubed and the filter opening shinkwrapped against dust contamination.

I have no doubt that the Toyota filters have sufficient quality filter media, as Toyota would have to eat a lot of problems on dealer-serviced cars.

FWIW, my local Subaru and Jeep dealerships use aftermarket filters (Wix and NAPA(WIX)) on in-house oil changes.

Amsoil has some good products, but the multi-level marketing business model puts many hands in the end user's pocket before the product is sold.

Reply to
Bonehenge

You can still find Purolator filters? I haven't seen them in this area for about 20 years! Where do you get them?

Reply to
hachiroku

I don't know where you are, but in Kentucky you can get them at Meijer (a X-mart type store) and also at Auto Zone. Pep Boys also carries them, as well as their own store-branded ProLine filters that are just repackaged Purolators.

Reply to
Sean Elkins