Oil in the sparkplug tube of a 1992 Celica

Hi All, My 1992 Toyota Celica quit running today. After repeated tries to the car I pulled off the spark plug wires and found the spark plug tube full of oil on two of the cylinders. Is this a head gasket problem? If so, how hard is it to pull the head and replace it? Thanks for the help, Max

Reply to
Maxclimb12

A head problem could allow oil to foul the spark plugs, but a more likely cause is leaking grommets at the bottom of the spark plug tube in the valve cover.

Go to this web site:

and look up the 1992 Camry with the 4 cylinder 5S-FE engine, page EG!-12 and EG1-13 to see the grommets.

Reply to
Ray O

As well as what Ray suggested, check your valve cover gaskets. These can cause this situation as well!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hi all, It was the sparkplug tube gasket. Easy fix and the car runs great. Thanks for the help!

"Maxclimb12" wrote: > Hi All, > My 1992 Toyota Celica quit running today. After repeated tries > to the car I pulled off the spark plug wires and found the > spark plug tube full of oil on two of the cylinders. Is this a > head gasket problem? If so, how hard is it to pull the head > and replace it? > Thanks for the help, > Max

Reply to
Maxclimb12