one tire hot and smells

my front driver-side tire smelled funny and was very warm today. i recently had body work done and think maybe that could have something to do with it seeing as there was no problem prior. I also noticed that when I am braking (not always but sometimes) there is a "shifting" sound coming from said wheel. also when i put the car into park it makes the same shifting sound. can anyone help?

Reply to
jules1002

It is difficult to diagnose a sound without actually hearing the sound, and especially when someone describes a sound as "shifting." What does "shifting" sound like?

If the sound is a rubbing sound, heat, and smell, you may have worn brake pads, a stuck caliper slide, or a stuck caliper, with the likelihood in that order. You may be hearing the brake pad backing rubbing on the rotor or the wear sensor rubbing on the rotor. I recommend that you have your brakes checked.

Another possibility is that your tire is very low on air pressure. Check your tire air pressure.

Reply to
Ray O

Unfortunately, you don't say what the car is. My '85 Celica did this, too.

Turns out the seat that holds the spring was rusting, and rubbing against the tire. Then, one day it let go altogether, and dropped the spring right onto the tire! Good thing I had decided against taking the Freeway home and was driving about

20 MPH when it happened!

Take a look, but don't put your hand in there! If it is this, and chooses that moment to let go...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just a guess or two, since I can't actually see the car.

  1. Check your tire pressures, make sure they are correct.
  2. Is the car pulling to one site? Or do you suspect a braking issue.

If 1, fix. If 2, get it to a mechanic asap. I should cost very little to have it checked, and serviced as needed, compared to worrying about it, and having a safety issue.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great