Whistling brakes and nasty smells...

I have just had new brake discs and pads fitted to my 1996 Rover 220 SDi in an attempt to fix a grinding/swishing noise that was apparent when driving with the wheels turned slightly to the right, but which disappeared under even under a slight application of the brakes.

That noise has gone, but what has started, some 50 miles after having them fitted, is a whilstling sound that strangely that now only happens when the wheels are pointed straight (goes away on a slight turn to the left or right). Again the noise disappears under braking.

In both cases the noise is coming from the offside front wheel. Worse, there is a strong acrid burning smell when the brakes are used. I called the garage to query this smell, and was told it's 'normal' and will go away after a couple of hundred miles. The fact that the smell is coming from the wheel that was and now is again making a noise makes me wonder...

Any ideas of what's wrong would be appreciated.

Cheers Keith

Reply to
Keith O

Sounds like you have a fault with the caliper or brake hydraulics on that wheel.

Reply to
mrcheerful

. Worse,

Smell could be heavy application of the brakes or a sticking caliper. Good way to tell is to touch the wheel trim on both sides after a moderate run in the car. A sticking caliper will produce a fair amount of heat.

Leaving it is not an option if it is sticking. The pads will wear down very quickly and score your disk.

Reply to
sid

We had something similar - the wheel got bloody hot as well. It went back - they blamed a squeaky slider. They didn't mention anything about the heat - but to me - heat is caused by friction etc etc

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon