OT: A Gift From a Real President

Here's what you get when a real president (Papa Bush) arranges for his son to accept the right choice for secretary of defense, specifically Robert Gates:

In a letter to Mrs. Clinton sent yesterday, Mr. Gates offered his assurance that contingency planning "is indeed taking place with my active involvement as well as that of senior military and civilian officials and our commanders in the field." Mr. Gates added that he considers such planning "to be a priority for this Department."

The Defense secretary also sought to play peacemaker by clarifying Mr. Edelman's earlier note to Mrs. Clinton in which he asserted that "premature and public discussion of the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq reinforces enemy propaganda":

"I emphatically assure you that we do not claim, suggest or otherwise believe that congressional oversight emboldens our enemies, nor do we question anyone's motives in this regard. My statements to this effect have been frequent and unambiguous. That said, we all recognize that there are multiple audiences for what we say, and need to be careful not to undermine the morale of our troops or encourage our enemies - the point I think Ambassador Edelman was trying to make in his letter," Mr. Gates wrote. .

"I truly regret that this important discussion went astray and I also regret any misunderstanding of intention."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gates is wise and mature and doesn't need to loudly boast of his manhood at every opportunity. For example, when Republicans criticized Democrats for wanting a troop withdrawl from Iraq, instead of scolding them he said that they were helping to encourage Iraq to take more responsible for its own security.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I hope to God that in our next administration we have at least a few people in the inner circle of the president who don't have their heads up their bums, like Rove, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and the other jerks who've had the prez's ear for years now. They might as well have been picked for their jobs by pulling people at random out of checkout lines at markets, or those ordering happy meals at Mickey D's. The only two with somewhat decent credentials were Rice and Powell, and although Rice is still secy of state, she might as well have disappeared into thin air for all you hear about her nowadays. And I guess Brownie, who was doing such a heckuva job at FEMA is back to promoting horse shows.

Reply to
mack