Help please with cure for code.

P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow

This code pops up in about 4 days after resetting (60-100 miles).

1996 RAV4, 2WD, Automatic, A/C, 140K miles.

If you can point me in the right direction to fix this I would be very grateful.

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

You have a problem with the evaporative fuel system (charcoal can) (dynamite can) ect. It could be the can itself (needs the filter cleaned) or it's completely saturated, or the purge valve is malfunctioning. Do you fill your fuel tank up to overfull on a regular basis? Have you noticed fuel economy has worsened?

Reply to
user

Ah-Ha!! I just mentioned to my wife to make sure that she puts the cap back on tight and she says "But then it is hard to get off." I will look into the rest of it as well, due to the age and mileage.

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

Do you fill your fuel tank up to overfull on a regular basis? Generally I am a one click guy. But one click fills it to the top and giving a second squeeze accomplishes a tenth of a gallon at most. Have you noticed fuel economy has worsened? Possibly. Is this can and valve by the tank?

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

Just took a look at the cap before she headed off to work. NonLocking, gasket seems good, filler neck smooth AND it sucked air as I took it off. This after sitting in 94*F for 4 hours.

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

I'm not sure of the location of either on a RAV4 Allen, manufacturers usually keep it away from exhaust components, or for that matter, anything that could set off it's volatile nature. Look up front, many of them are located there. Ray O probably knows, so watch for his post. He may be able to assist you further.

Reply to
user

When I have a code I use Nyquil. I won't cure a code but I sleep better LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I know you are a big fan of loose gas caps for trouble codes related to the evap emissions control system, but the gas cap is not the OP's problem.

If you think the canister is the likely culprit, then you should not have someone spend money on something else.

This is good advice.

As to the OP's original question, have the dealer refer to TSB EG005-01 for tips on diagnosis of evap system trouble codes. Most likely, there is a problem with the purge valve.

Reply to
Ray O

The gas cap is probably good - I doubt that is the cause of the trouble code - see my other post(s).

Reply to
Ray O

The charcoal canister is usually located in the engine compartment. Valves have various locations, the purge valve is usually located on the canister.

Reply to
Ray O