OT Allergic US employee sues to ban perfume at work

Here we go again. Once this stuff starts there is no end.

Reply to
dbu,.

What would you say if you heard she was on permanent disability because everywhere she went to find work, she found people wearing perfume? Sponging off society?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

is your friend
And, actually, several workplaces (especially medical ones) have no-cologne, perfume rules. People can actually have a rather serious asthma attack from it, in close quarters. In an office setting, you're breathing recycled air, so the effect is concentrated.

This isn't as frivolous as it appears.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Ever notice the signs in the examining rooms of doctors' offices - to please refrain from wearing perfume or cologne? Some people really can't tolerate it - physically.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

She could always deliver papers or get a mail route- An inspector on a construction site wouldn't get around perfume either. "Seek and you can find".

Reply to
Mr.E

In some offices the dress code advices employees to take a bath everyday, change clothing regularly and wear antiprespirants or deodorants.

Reply to
EdV

This is true. Particularly in the elderly, not as victims but perps.

The sense of smell goes away drastically after age 75. Some people can't smell just how much cologne, perfume, or after-shave they're wearing, so they slather on even more.

Until paint peels when they walk by.

Reply to
witfal

and turn off your cell phones, I know. I don't like strong perfumes either. I remember when I was still employed we had company cars, someone had sprayed their perfume and it hit the seat belt right about where it crossed my chest. That smell stayed there for a long time, it was awful AND it transferred to my tie and shirt. I had to explain that one when I got home.

I would like for people to use good judgment and for others not have to sue for corrective action. Seems like common sense is elusive these days.

Reply to
dbu,.

That brings to mind what they told us on the Toyota plant tour last year at Georgetown, KY. We were not allowed to go in the painting area for two reasons. The first was that Toyota didn't want the liability in case someone was sensitive to paint fumes, and the second was that if you wore certain kinds of perfume or even aftershave, it could contaminate the paint! Go figure.

Reply to
mack

Incl. the person who was slathering on the scent where this woman works, & refused to quit doing so when a colleague became ill from it.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"witfal" , "Cathy F." :

LOL same goes for appearance. I can remember this old lady patient who wore really thick makeup. One of my coworkers said, "Who does her makeup? Sherwin Williams?"

Sad, but funny

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

" dbu,." ...

And she bought it? Woman's a saint. :-)

Hey, good luck with that...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I don't know what colognes or perfume contain, but IF silicon is present in any substance used around car surfaces to be painted, it will negate the ability of paint to adhere to the contaminated spot.

Reply to
witfal

Do you mean silicon or silicone?

If it's the latter, then most Hollywood starlets are a similar hazard.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I think so....I hope so.... we are still together, LOL

I am telling the truth btw.

Reply to
dbu,.

we seem to think that legislation or suing is the answer to everything - common sense seems to me at least to be increasingly rare.

Could it be a product of our "cradle to the grave, government will take care of me" mentality?

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

" dbu,." ,

Probably cuz that's such a bizarre excuse, she figured you couldn't have made it up LOL

I believe you; but I'm not the one who counts.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I meant to type that "e", but alas was too quick.

Reply to
witfal

"Jeff Strickland" ...

You're a very smart fella, Jeff, but this you don't know. I'm telling you, it's much more serious than most people realize. The same goes for secondhand smoke. Whether it causes cancer or not is unclear, but it's well documented as a trigger for severe asthma and other respiratory ailments.

Perfume, like cigarettes, are things that are not essential for life or the workplace, so I think banning both from same is appropriate.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Beverly Sills died of lung cancer, yet I understand she didn't smoke. Second-hand smoke, or maybe another factor? I haven't heard/read any more about it.

Cathy

but it's well

Reply to
Cathy F.