OT- car ramps

I have a set of car ramps my kid left behind when he moved. Considering how dangerous they can be if used on anything but level solid ground, would you sell them or toss them out?

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

are they the one piece formed jobbers or braced? In any case they aren't worth much. Nobody works on cars anymore except our latino friends and me.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

If you're going to throw them out, contact me!

I _NEED_ a set!!!

Are they metal? Are they Rusty?

going_postal_4u "at" yahoo dot com

Yeah, it's a 'real' e-mail address. If you want to get rid of them, I'll come down and pick them up! I have been wanting to buy a pair for a couple months, but just haven't had the $$$...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Hachiroku

Do you really?

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

What Hachiroku said! BTW, I have a set of ramps that I don't use either.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I do. And I have a set of ramps. Anything major I have a local shop where I can get hoist time.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Anything I think I can handle; brakes, body work, most electricals, etc.

The more 'technical' stuff I asses as to whether I can fix it, or if I have to whip out the Checkbook.

A lot of the maintenance/easy stuff I do myself. I had to have a mechanic help me with the fuel tank, he has a lift!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'll tell you what. Right now I have a few irons in the fire that have my attention. When I get through this pain-in-the-dupa situation I'm in I'll put the ramps out on the driveway and take a digital picture of them, and then upload it for you to see. Meanwhile, all I can say is they're in good shape, heavy type steel with support brackets, and always used on my level cement driveway. My youngest used them recently to work on his Saturn. Storage is a problem. My comfort level is more important than keeping something for others to use. Need any gold plated RCA audio cable for your stereo? How about large Marantz speakers? I'm at a point where less is best and the clutter has got to go.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

The last time I did any real work on one of my vehicles was the 89 Trooper II. The fuel pump bracket shorted out and I had to drop the fuel tank and replace the bracket. The Toyota has been free of any troubles so I have not even been under it, it's almost three years old. The Trooper is over 16 years old and still going.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

Same here.

The ramps are handy for oil changes. The grease fittings are much easier to get at on my Jeep with the wheels on ramps. They were a total necessity for changing the filter on some FWD, transverse engined vehicles I've previously owned.

Some of us do our own work out of pride and interest. I can use the best synthetic lubricants and consumable parts for the same price that a commercial operation can do it with generic crap. A look around under the hood can show me that belts, hoses, brakes, clutches, etc... will be needed before they actually are. I can put in washer fluid that won't freeze. All in all, I find it all to be a very enjoyable way to spend a Saturday morning.

Remember "lube techs" _aren't_ mechanics, even though they dress like one. A local Jeep dealer split every one of my grease boots, using an air assisted gun, other places have torn the fender liners on my vehicles, not bothered to check other fluids, or greased where applicable.

As a data point, I'm a third generation American with an Irish, English, and German family tree. I don't speak any Spanish, but some of my friends do, if you need car care tips.

Reply to
B A R R Y

speaking of grease, I just purchased a pneumatic grease gun, have not had the chance to try it out on the vehicle yet.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

Careful!

Reply to
B A R R Y

I used ramps for a number of years. Then I ultimately got involved in racing and saw the benefits of using a trolley jack and a set of jackstands, and never looked back.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Well put!

I made the mistake of taking my Supra to one of those oil change places for awhile. Eventually the idiot who did the work failed to tighten the drain plug properly, and by the next morning most of the oil had drained out of the engine onto my driveway. Ghod, I was pissed.

So I called the place and got the manager on the line, and explained what had happened. "Well...what do you think I should do about it," he asked? A good beginning, Clue Bunny, would be to write down the number of my invoice and use it to track down the "technician" who'd committed this abortion on toast, then explain to him the necessity of exercising proper attention to detail with customers' cars, and pointing out its relevance to his continued employment! What a freaking 'tard...

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

How about in the bedroom?

One of my racing buddies jokes about having bedroom applications for his pneumatic tools. When couple of our acquaintance was going to spend the night at his place, I asked whether he'd made any arrangements in that regard. "I have a "T" fitting," he replied.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

well I had not thought of that, but I am afraid not.

Your mind must be in the same place as our liberal friends.

Seriously, this one was about $25 U.S. and I know there are much more expensive models, I wonder how the thing will work, guess I'll just have to give it a go next time I got me rig in the shed.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

Oh, shoot! I'm a pack rat and I LOVE audio gear!!!!

Hey, how'd you fair last night? It sounded awful from where I live, and it didn't rain until about 10:00 PM, but we didn't get the lightning like I was hearing! It all went South of us!

Oh, and don't LEAVE them in the drive! I'll certainly come to look at them!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I just bought a Marantz 4230 receiver yesterday at a garage sale for $10 and I am restoring it. I have two Marantz receivers along with a vintage Pioneer. I am an audio nut.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

I have some vintage stuff, too. Trouble is, I bought it NEW!

I put most of my audio $$$ into Car Audio...

That and Bass guitars...

Reply to
Hachiroku