{OT} congressional representation

At the behest of JoeSpareBedroom I wrote my Virginia congressmen about the need for drilling offshore and using other natural resources such as coal and natural gas within the United States. It's been three weeks now I think and the only one who has replied with any type of form letter has been the House representative. Senators Warner and Webb haven't even bothered to acknowledge their constituent, much less reply with a rebuttal.

Now whether this is because I am registered as Republican and they're Democrats (Warner is a RINO) or their arrogance is so severe that they only answer to their real masters, I don't know. The point is this is just another example of the elitism of the US Senate, after all they are 2 of only 100 members of this special club. Frankly I can't say I know of one single US Senator I have respected as a representative of the people.

What is your experience when contacting your congressional representatives?

Reply to
badgolferman

No response from Schumer. Form letters from Clinton. Real letter and just once, a phonecall from representative Louise Slaughter's office. But, she's unusual from what I gather.

Now, write to your local newspaper an embarrass your elected barnacles.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks, Joe -- I'll get right on it! Any other fruitful suggestions? I don't think many people read newspapers anymore, local or national.

Reply to
badgolferman

Translation: You're too busy watching cartoons, and you're too dumb to figure out how to word the letter appropriately for the newspaper.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why are you being so rude? I already gave you credit for your suggestion and thanked you for following up. I was trying to start a new way of communicating with you but alas it seems we are back to the same old joe.

My original point was senators don't bother answering to constituents. You said tell your local paper. I said the local paper is worthless and no one reads it. You said I can't write. Do you have another insult to hurl my way?

Reply to
badgolferman

That's entirely up to you. Don't make broad generalizations about newspapers. There are some pretty lively debates here in the newspapers, and local politicians often jump in because they have no choice when smart citizens are calling them out. Maybe where you live, folks don't rite reel gud or something.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My experience is that it is not easy to contact my PA Senators or Congressmen. One needs to go through hoops to find the form to contact them. Apparently it is too difficult to simply give us an Email address. I have my Congressmens personal phone number but I only get a recorded message to leave my phone number. When Rick Santorum was our Senator I could call him and talk to him ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Poor.

Some months back, I wrote to both NC Senators about the new farm bill. Dole never replied. Burr sent me a canned response that was out of date and not related to my question.

About 7 years ago I contacted both senators at the time (Helms and Faircloth) and two Representatives (the one where I live and the one where my farm is located). I asked about the US peanut program. Neither senator responded at all. The rep where my farm is located (Jones) did not respond. The rep where I lived (Price) actually had the local ag agent call me to discuss my question. Unfortunately this was useless since they don't grow peanuts in this county and he was clueless about my question.

So the net is - I have never personally gotten any good information form a Senator or Representative. I do have an old but useful forestry book in my library that a Representative (Bonner) sent my Grandfather 50 years ago....but my Grandfather was active politically (former County Commisioner, active Democrat, at least till Johnson's election in 1964).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If you REALLY want an eye opener, write to your Senator and take a position on most any subject. After you get a reply and you will get a form letter of how he "supports your position," then write again and take the opposite side to that subject and you will get a form letter of how he "supports your position."

I've done that with Senator Specter (RINO PA) on several occasions. Usually it is "I supported that in Committee" and "I apposed that on the Senate floor." Or "I co-sponsored legislation" LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Isn't it amazing how, when our senators and congresspersons want to get re-elected, they'll promise anything and want to make you feel like friends and neighbors, but once elected, they don't know you and they don't WANT to know you. It was ever thus, unfortunately. Our congressperson is Sonny Bono's widow, and now the wife of Connie Mack, simply because this is a highly Republican congressional district. (45th calif.) As our Democratic challenger pointed out in the last election, she holds the dubious record for being 435th out of 435 congresspeople in getting federal money for her district. What a fine record...... She's also as dumb as a rock, but what the hell, she IS Republican. Pitiful.

Having said this, I find the Democratic National Committee about as dumb, since even though Mary Bono (now Mack)'s record was so miserable, the DNC declined to pitch any money to her last challenger. What can one expect when the DNC are also dumb as rocks?

Reply to
mack

As much as I'd like to think we are a democracy, the dimm congress will not respond to anyone who does not agree with their agenda. I know this to be true from personal experience. Sorry, but you are wasting your time. Your response is only good at the voting booth. Good luck

Reply to
dbu

You silly meat sock. Prove that republicans in congress are any more responsive to their constituents. Do it now.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When I call my senator I always ask to speak to the Senator, the response is always the same, that she/he is not in the office. Funny, but when are they in the office? My take, never. Bottom line, they'd rather not talk directly to you or me, if Santorum did, he's a rare bird, you should get him back in office again.

Reply to
dbu

Joe's barnacles along with his boat and motor will have to go when barrack takes control of his life, LOL.

Reply to
dbu

LOL, you funny jsb, twit.

Reply to
dbu

And in Chicago, not even then.

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

I know Senator Bob Casey (D) as well, he can't hold a candle to Santorum. His dad, the former Governor of PA, was a class act but the son is a dunce, getting elected to several state offices on the strength of his dad's name. I was a major contributor to the father even though he was a Dim. He, like me, was more of a Reagan Democrat.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Chicago has a long history of stuffing boxes. Old man Daley was noted for crooked politics, Nixon v. Kennedy for example. I wonder if old man daley knew old man kennedy? What a pair they'd make.

Reply to
dbu

Does the expression "thick as thieves" ring a bell?

Reply to
mack

Quacks, like chiropractors, also give good service, unlike what real doctors do, especially surgeons.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly