What is the max millage a camry can go?

Hi there, Does anyone know what's the maximum Mileage camry can go ?

I have a camry of year 1999, with about 130K miles on it, most are highway Mileages. For this car, I have done all type of service and it still runs great. But right now, it needs 4 new tires and I just want to find out what type of tires I need to buy ?

Thanks a lot !

Charlie

Reply to
John

If you plan on keeping the car, put some good tires on it. My 1991 4 cylinder had over 190K on it when I bought a new one. Outside of teh normal service items , two timing belts and water pumps only a couuple of sensors were replaced at about 150 K.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You should buy good quality tires. You can get some useful tire reviews at tirerack.com.

If your first question is asking how long your Camry will last, it is not uncommon to see Camrys with over 300,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

If you have Costco membership get the Michelin Primacy.

As far as how long a car lasts well I've seen Ford Model-Ts driving down the road once in a while. Can't really say the same about Toyotas. But I guess maintenance helps. (Wear items, alternator, starter brushes, belts/hoses, valve stem seals, o-rings and other rubber parts don't last forever and will eventually need replacing.)

Reply to
johngdole

"John" ...

You can count on this car running for a lot more mileage that you have already, as it sounds like you do the maintenance. I have a Sienna that has

195K miles on it and I beat the heck out of it and it just keeps on going. Toyotas seem to have very good longevity.

Regarding the other question on tires, I use Michelin X Radials that I get at BJ's and they are a good tire that does just fine and last me about 70K miles or so. Get a good tire that will last a long time and performs well - stay away from the cheapy tires or you might pay the price for not paying the price. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Usualy rust, a coolant leak or just age make a person junk a car, the motors can go 300000 but alot of other things fail, like my AC

Reply to
ransley

I have a customer that has 296,000 miles on his 1992 Camry.

130K is just getting broken in.
Reply to
aarcuda69062

If you stay on top of the service and maintenance, and fix things as they show they need it, you could drive it forever. Time is much more of an enemy than mileage.

As a practical matter, you might have to rebuild the engine after

500K or so, and keep going. Paint it every 12 to 15 years. And clutches every 50K to 150K depending on your foot, or automatic transmission rebuilds every 150K to 300K. Normal wear items, but stretched out past where Detroit gets to.

What will kill you is rust - if you live in the snow belt, stay on top of it. And in another 15 or 20 years getting parts will start getting hard, and start getting expensive. And if you don't want to scrounge for parts or happen to get into a wreck at that point, that's when you give up and scrap it...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

How far do you want to drive it? My SO drove her late 80's Camry to over 200k miles. It was driven away when she sold it. I thought the car was ready for the junk yard at 150k, but she kept going for another year and half with liberal applications of oil and transmission fluid. There were buyers for the hulk when she finally got tired of the grass dying because of the ATF leaks.

Almost any car can make 200k miles with decent maintenance. The question is whether or not you want to be driving it when it makes it. I've had a couple of vehicles that were in good shape at 150k miles (1997 Expedition for one) and some that were ready for the scrap heap at less than 100k (1982 Cressida for one).

Maintenance, driving style, where you are located, your willingness to pay for repairs, and your tolerance for decay are all important determining factors in whether or not you will be willing to drive your Toyota for another 20k, 30k, or 100k miles. I am confident that my SO and my Sister will be driving their late model RAV4s (one '07, one '08) until they have well over 150k miles (barring a wreck). I am also confident that I wouldn't want to be regularly driving either one of them after they pass 100k miles.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

[...]

Have you got some swamp land available too?

I'd love to take a look at your wonder car. It has been so long since I saw a Toyota that old I have forgotten what they look like. I have driven several Toyotas, but none that were that old when I drove them. The SO's Camry was around 10 years old when she got rid of it and it was a rolling POS. My neighbor has a 10 year old Corolla and it has less than 70k miles (she is in her 70's and drives very little). It looks like crap (faded paint, faded interior). Mostly it runs OK except for the smoke cloud in the morning and the squeaks and rattles that appear to be standard with Toyotas. I've had to jump the car for her several times. I finally convinced her it needed a new alternator. She has had me drive it a couple of times when it makes odd noises, but considering how little it is driven, I haven't seen anything that made it unsafe, just undesirable. Other than the alternator, I think the biggest problem is the brittle plastic on the interior. I suppose if she spent a couple of thousand on new paint and replaced the broken interior bits, it could look just like new too. But then who would want a 10 year old rattle trap, that looks like new? Of course if gas keeps going up, I might want it, no matter what it looks like.....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

With a little care, the car will outlive any tires you buy for it. Change the fluids, grease the chassis, etc. Above all don't let the timing belt wear out and break!

Do check the suspension bushings and steering linkages sometime in the next year or so. As the car ages, these will wear and loosen, possibly allowing the tire alignment to drift out of spec, causing accelerated tire wear.

Reply to
Greg Campbell