OT: Farm bill and just why the Republican'ts are losing elections

The Congress passed a pork-laden (pun intended) farm bill. President Bush vetoed it.

Now Congress has voted to override the veto. There are not enough Democrats in the House to override a veto, so that means the RINOs joined with them to gorge themselves at the public trough. It's things like that that make voters believe there's no real difference between the DimoCraps and the Republicant's.

Whatever happened to the Contract with America?

Charles the Curmudgeon.

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

It wasn't worded correctly. Should've been Contract *ON* America.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The Democrats also forgot to include 34 pages of the bill sent to the President for signature. See

Sam in Savannah

Why combine so many things in a bill that shouldn't be? Farmers shouldn't get subsidies, especially the ones that have been hiring illegal immigrants for years. There should be no special credits for ethanol either.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Election year!

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Part of the bill pays farmers to not grow crops. I would think of all people you would be against that portion of the bill JSB.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

You're right. In my previous message, I was agreeing with you. "contract" in the mafia meaning of the word.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

JSB shows his true colors again by calling it the Contract ON America.

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

You wouldn't like me. I dislike Bush as well as most "republicans" who support his views. I dislike most democrats who were born after the 1960's.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I have not actually read the details of the new farm bill, but I doubt it pays farmers to not grow crops. Recent farm bill have not paid farmer to "not grow crops" in years. That went out in the 70's. In fact one of the compliants from overseas competitors is that the US Farm bills have encouraged overproduction (which is true). And although this was always claimed to be a benefit for farmers, the truth is that it actually hurt farmers by keeping marginal farmers in buisness and encouraging over production which keep food prices low. And politicians have consistently overstated the benefits paid to farmers in recent years. The prior farm bill tied most benefits to target prices. For the last five years the target prices have consistently been below the actual market prices, which means no benefits had to be paid (yet, by setting a floor on prices they were able to remove much of the risk of farming, encouraging over production and thus keeping food prices low, while not requiring much outlay - a win win if you are not a farmer).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White