OT It's The Stupid Timing Stupid-what?

It's been said what ever major event or events that are shaping our lives within two weeks of an election are influential to the voters. If a big meteor was going to hit Earth, then anyone with a background in astrological science probably wood get elected and other problems he may cause or can't repair would be sorted out later. Forgetting party affiliations for the moment and the extreme example I gave above, do you think there are any announced candidates for presidential office capable of handling tasks at hand and the unexpected? If not, is the presidential elections really a popularity contest and we just keep our fingers crossed?

On a much smaller scale, our first afro-American governor Duval Patrick is in his "honeymoon stage" and he's doing a lot of thinking out loud about the

1 billion dollar deficit. After becoming governor he announced there was indeed a deficit. I'm not black and I can't pick up on subtle facial expressions but I will say if Duval was white he would have been pale with embarrassment. It's rather sad nobody gets to see the books until they are elected. The good news though is we learn how the previous administration shuffled things around, putting it off and off. What is a man who wants to put another 1000 police on the streets gonna do?
Reply to
mark digital©

Interesting. I saw Patrick's announcement of the $1B deficit, also. I am really hoping it is not just a Political ploy to reinstate fees and taxes that have been let go. Remember what it USED to cost to transfer plates? The past 5 years I've been living on Paradise with all the cars I have had, and only having to pay $15 instead of $65 to transfer plates!

I am saving my comments on Patrick until this is confirmed or denied...

Now, as far as Hilary goes, I saw her little Tirade after she returned from Iraq. She lost my vote (HA! As if she ever had it!!!) right there. Because of WHAT she said? Hell, NO! Because of HOW she said it!

She may be another woman, but she's just another Good Ol' Boy in the CLUB from how she acts. "Business" as usual, all I see.

I'm HOPING!!! (as a Republican-leaning Conservative) that Patrick sticks by how he campaigned and brings some real reform, and doesn't just become another member of the "club".

Reply to
Hachiroku

It seems his approach is a feel good one. In other words, getting people on the streets involved. Sending his people out and gather what others have to say. It shall be interesting to see if the news media ever has to take off their kids gloves. I won't expect to see that happen with the Springfield Republican.

Reply to
mark digital©

------------------------------------------------------------- OK Would you do me a favor and adjust your newsreader so I don't haved to do this: "---------------------------------------------------------------------" Indents would be fine. Thank you.

Reply to
mark digital©

LOL! Odd name for that paper, isn't it? I get the Sunday edition.

Reply to
Hachiroku

For the cents-off coupons, right?

Reply to
mark digital©

What do you make of this?

mark digital©

Very interesting...the oil companies RAISE the price of a gallon of gas as SOON as an increase is announced, saying, "Now we have to pay higher costs for raw material..." But, when the price DROPS, "Now we have to recoup what we paid for what's already in the tanks..."

Sounds a bit like double dipping to me. If you paid LESS for what's in the tanks when the price goes up, then the price shouldn't increase until you get the first delivery at the higher cost. But that's not how it works.

And, as GWB said, "Don't look to me for any help."

How many remember THAT comment? Who should we look to then, George? Seems to me the oil companies are just running Open Loop...we'll make up the rules, and you just sit back and take it...

Now, I don't think we'll get a lot of support from our UK friends on this one...as Andrew said the other day, they're paying ~$6.27 a gallon...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I like the editorial page...aka funnies...

Reply to
Hachiroku